Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FranklinJ
Streaming Star

60 second countdown and then reboot after software upgrade.

Jump to solution

I received a new inbox Roku ultra on May 15, 2024. Within a week the Roku ultra updated to software version 13.0.0. 
Then the Roku started a 60 second countdown when I would turn it on in the morning and then turn itself off and reboot. Work with Tech Support for hours I’m configuring the same things over and over again The same way and expecting different results.

A replacement Roku ultra arrived.  I mirrored the configuration to the one with the countdown problem. The replacement Roku also updated to version 13.0.0. 
No problems!  No, 60 second countdowns! No Automatic reboots.

there are two timers that I am aware of in Roku unit. One is a 20 minute power off timer and the other is screensaver. Neither of them are set to 60 seconds. I provided many photographs to the Roku Tech team from days and nights where it would reboot. 

Yesterday, I was confident enough to send back the self rebooting unit, Fully wiped. I hope not to see it again.

if you know of any internal 60 second timers, please let me know. I’d love to know what glitched on the download of 13.0.0  

Naturally, I will still purchase and support Roku technology because I like it.

Warmest regards, Franklin J

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 60 second countdown and then reboot after software upgrade.

Jump to solution

@FranklinJ 

Many linux distros have a default 60 second timer when powered down or restarted.(allows any running tasks to be completed).  This can be adjusted in settings or config/etc files for the gui interface (mouse/desktop), but if using terminal commands the user normally has to add an additional time argument/identifier (like n for now, or some number to override the 60 seconds and represent the desired number of seconds) after the traditional systemctl, telinit, or shutdown/reboot/restart commands.

Would lead me to suspect that your defective Roku (a linux derivative) may have just been stuck in a boot mode process after a botched update. (normal behavior of Roku after a software update is to perform an automatic system restart/reboot).

But with Roku...who knows.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

FranklinJ
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thank you. This makes sense!

I like reasonable answers to questions and this looks like it fits. Thank you so much!

From a user standpoint, the resolution Is the same.   Since I could not Perform a fresh full reinstall of 13.0.0 software, the answer was to get a replacement box. And it upgraded to 13.0.0 without any glitches in the software install so the problem is now in the box which will be in the hands of Roku.  The problem should be reasonably easy for them to fix: wipe it and configure with a fresh Roku OS.

I suppose I could have done that, but since it was under warranty, and I have to put in a lot of the apps by hand installing the names and the passwords. I figured I might as well start with a new box.  But now I’m going to wonder: could I have just wiped it and started from scratch -  reinstall my apps Anyway, and would that have fixed the 60 second  delay?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@FranklinJ 

Many linux distros have a default 60 second timer when powered down or restarted.(allows any running tasks to be completed).  This can be adjusted in settings or config/etc files for the gui interface (mouse/desktop), but if using terminal commands the user normally has to add an additional time argument/identifier (like n for now, or some number to override the 60 seconds and represent the desired number of seconds) after the traditional systemctl, telinit, or shutdown/reboot/restart commands.

Would lead me to suspect that your defective Roku (a linux derivative) may have just been stuck in a boot mode process after a botched update. (normal behavior of Roku after a software update is to perform an automatic system restart/reboot).

But with Roku...who knows.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

FranklinJ
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thank you. This makes sense!

I like reasonable answers to questions and this looks like it fits. Thank you so much!

From a user standpoint, the resolution Is the same.   Since I could not Perform a fresh full reinstall of 13.0.0 software, the answer was to get a replacement box. And it upgraded to 13.0.0 without any glitches in the software install so the problem is now in the box which will be in the hands of Roku.  The problem should be reasonably easy for them to fix: wipe it and configure with a fresh Roku OS.

I suppose I could have done that, but since it was under warranty, and I have to put in a lot of the apps by hand installing the names and the passwords. I figured I might as well start with a new box.  But now I’m going to wonder: could I have just wiped it and started from scratch -  reinstall my apps Anyway, and would that have fixed the 60 second  delay?

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.