Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
notqytryt
Reel Rookie

roku tv not connecting to Emby server

Jump to solution

My roku tv will not connect to emby.... emby is working on the roku box. keeps referring to a server but when i click on it, it trys connecting to my email name instead of the server .. on the other box it advances to the server

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: roku tv not connecting to Emby server

Jump to solution

OK. I've experimented with Emby in the past, but it's not my regular go-to media server so I don't have extensive experience with it. But I thought Emby was like Plex, you had to log into an account to see the server(s) on your network. Of course, Emby also supports DLNA, so that's another option to access your media. Enable DLNA on your Emby server and then use Roku Media Player as your Roku player app. That said, RMP hasn't been updated in years and has some significant issues with some media playback. But depending on how Emby feeds the media you might be fine. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
atc98092

Jump to solution

If the Emby app is working on other devices, but only having issues on one device, there's probably a network issue with that one device. The Emby app has to be able to "see" the Emby server on your network. It won't work if there's a firewall blocking access, different network segments using different IP address ranges (unlikely on a home network) or if there's a security setting on your network WiFi that blocks devices from seeing other devices on your network. 

So, how is your Roku TV connected to your network, and how is the Roku that is working connected? 

Dan

0 Kudos
notqytryt
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

it sees it.. but for some reason when the network appears it is my email name and not the server name.. I can't change it either. btw my tlc tv on the same network works. It's seam to be a roku tv issue. also my shield. my skystream boxes also work... but not using emby connect .. i have to manually type in the IP to set it up

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

OK. I've experimented with Emby in the past, but it's not my regular go-to media server so I don't have extensive experience with it. But I thought Emby was like Plex, you had to log into an account to see the server(s) on your network. Of course, Emby also supports DLNA, so that's another option to access your media. Enable DLNA on your Emby server and then use Roku Media Player as your Roku player app. That said, RMP hasn't been updated in years and has some significant issues with some media playback. But depending on how Emby feeds the media you might be fine. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.