Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Goes To Home Screen After 30 MINS. Problem Not Fixed

Jump to solution

@Michael_Pyron Out of curiosity, are you experiencing this with any other channel on your device? If not, it's likely that the issue you're seeing relates to that specific channel. I might recommend trying a factory reset as a last troubleshooting step to see if this changes anything. If not, I'd suggest continuing to report the issue to Philo and request any additional support they may be able to provide. Please keep us posted! 

@Msellsworth01 Which model of Roku device are you seeing the issue on (Settings>System>About)? What exactly is the behavior you are experiencing? 

Try removing each of these channels from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tiles, pressing the * key and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then, go to Settings>System>System restart and restart your device. Once it loads up again, add each channel back once more and try streaming again. Let us know how it goes from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Krietema

Jump to solution
Tanner, the same thing is happening to me with Fox Sports for the past several weeks. I’ve tried what you’ve suggested—delete app, full system restart, and reinstall. It will sometimes happen after 10 minutes sometimes after one. It’s often related to commercials but not always. Any help please otherwise it looks like I’m moving to Amazon Fire stick.
0 Kudos
Msellsworth01
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi all,

My above problem is not fixed either. I did all the things you suggested as well as getting in touch with CBS. I have done all of the things they suggested as well. Plus, I cannot access past episodes on CBS. I realize that may be a CBS problem. Any other ideas? I may be going to Amazon fire as well. 

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Krietema @Msellsworth01  Thanks for the note here. I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are running into with that channel. 

The only other troubleshooting step we can provide would be to perform a full factory reset on your device. If that still isn't clearing up the issue, and other channels (apps) continue to work correctly, this is likely an issue within that specific channel (app) itself that the channel developer would need to investigate to resolve. You'll want to reach out to Fox Sports support directly to report the issue, and request additional support. You can reach them here: http://foxsports.com/supports/contact-us

Each channel on Roku is built and maintained by the channel provider themselves, and they'll be able to best assist with any issues you may encounter within their channel. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Jackoletti
Reel Rookie

Re: roku exits youtube, amazon every 30 mins

Jump to solution
ABC APP WILL NOT LAUNCH... HAVE DISCONNECTED, REMOVED THE APP, RELIAFED THE APP, RESTARTED SYSTEM AS RECOMMENDED IN OTHER POSTS, NO HELP. CONTACTED ABC GOT EMAIL STATING THEY ATE WORKIN ON IT?... I THINK IT COULD BE A ROKU PROBLEM WITH THE ROKU STICK.... MY OTHER DEVICES DO NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEM BUT THE 2 STICKS DO..WHY IS THAT? IF ROKU IS SHUTTING DOWN THE UPDATING OF THEIR DEVICES BECAUSE THEY WANT YOU TO BUY NEW THAN THEY NEED TO BE RESPONSIBLE TO THEIR CONSUMERS. A NICE GESTURE WOULD BE TO OFFER AN INCENTIVE TO UPGRADE. EVENTUALLY THE INTERNET PROVIDERS WILL OWN THE STREAMING. I AM VERY UPSET WITH THIS ISSUE AND THE FACT THAT ROKU SITE DOESNT OFFER MUCH.
0 Kudos
fgreg

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD wrote:

Hi everyone, 

It's possible that this may relate to a new feature introduced for Roku devices in OS 9.2. In Settings>Network>Bandwidth saver, there is now a feature that will show users a prompt to confirm if they are still actively watching after 4 hours of streaming. If no input is received to confirm that you are still watching, your device will return to the Home screen. This setting can be turned off, which should stop that behavior, except for channels that have their own functionality around this type of activity. 

The previous issue that was causing playback to exit to the home screen after 30 minutes has been resolved. If you are still running into an issue, you'll want to take a closer look and continue troubleshooting your device. This includes restarting the device by either disconnecting the power, or by going into the Settings menu and performing a system restart. If the issue continues from there, you'll need to try removing the streaming channel you were watching from the Roku home screen, restart your device completely, then reinstall the channel once more and try playing content again. 

Please keep us posted from there and we'll see how we can continue assisting you! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Please consider adding a notification box stating what happened on the next interaction after this feature has been triggered. I leave my Roku on for my pet and I've noticed that when I get home it has stopped and is displaying the screensaver. I had no idea this feature was introduced (and defaulted to "on") so a simple notification when I dismissed the screensaver that says something along the lines of "Application stopped due to inactivity. This setting can be changed in Settings>Network>Bandwith Saver" would make it so much more obvious what was going on.

0 Kudos
Snell

Jump to solution

Does not work by restarting! Still exits after 30 min.

0 Kudos
Dwynegen

Jump to solution

I am still experiencing this issue on my Roku stick. I have followed their suggestions of doing a factory reset on my Roku, updated to the latest firmware and unplugged my Roku to no avail. It's unfortunate that I invested money to buy not one but two streaming sticks and still have to deal with this. I have since quit using them and rely on the apps available through my TV which are limited. I doubt I'll be buying another Roku product after this as I have been considering upgrading recently

0 Kudos
SunCat
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I can confirm that this is not a solved issue.  It is happening on every channel I try to watch (Plex, Amazon, Roku Channel).  Just before the 30 minute mark of watching a show, the Roku resets back to the home screen.  I have disabled the screensaver and any other timeout-based function I can find on the Roku with no success. 

If it helps, the HW/SW details of my Roku are:

Roku Stick model 3600X

SW: 9.2.0 build 4804-24

This stick is powered by the TV, so it goes through a full boot-up process before each viewing session.  It does appear to be tied to some sort of internal timer as I find I can get through an entire show if I make sure to pause every once in a while (before the 30 minute mark).

0 Kudos
Kirsty

Jump to solution

I have tried this and I am still having my device turn to the home screen/Roku screen saver and needing to wait a couple of minutes before having to go back into Amazon Prime and find what I was watching again 

0 Kudos