Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
textexin
Visitor

roku exits youtube, amazon every 30 mins

Jump to solution

I have a roku express+ and a roku 2. Recently both have started dropping youtube videos or amazon videos at 30 minute intervals. They just exit to the home screen. I think after exactly 30 minutes.
I can resume the video, and watch for another 30 mins and it repeats.
The roku 2 is at another home, so it isnt the network. Both are fed by comcast, but different accounts so I dont think the problem is comcast intentionally doing something (but I havent ruled it out).
I dont think the problem happens on my windows laptop.
It happens with youtube and amazon so I dont think it is an app issue. Did a recent update to both rokus cause the problem?

The problem began in the last month or so I think.

Any solutions or ideas for diagnosing the problem in more detail?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: roku exits youtube, amazon every 30 mins

Jump to solution

Thanks again for sharing your reports. 

Our team has resolved this issue. Please restart your device by either visiting Settings>System>System restart or by disconnecting the power for a moment. This should clear things up and help get you back to streaming. 

Cheers,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
46 REPLIES 46
rooktoo
Visitor

Jump to solution
I have had the same problem for many months. Apparently, it only affects the express+ units.

Roku seems uninterested in fixing it.
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution
Thanks for the note here. 

Our team is aware of the reports of this issue, and has been working to help resolve this. Please stay tuned for further updates as we know more and have a solution available. We'll be sure to follow up on these threads. 

Thanks,
Tanner
0 Kudos
textexin
Visitor

Jump to solution
rooktoo, thanks for adding your voice. I agree there seems to be very little movement by roku on this. Personally, I would like them to drop back to a version of their software before the problem started. The problem makes it very annoying to watch a video longer than 30 minutes, since it is interrupted and requires going thru the menus to get back to the point to resume.
PaulJayKay
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Sad to say that I'm done with Roku!  I had a Roku 2 (2720X?) and got several decent years of service out of it.  This last spring (2019), youtube started to crash after 20 to 30 minutes into a video (just stop and go back to the Roku home screen).  I tried all the suggestions in vain, and almost bought a different streaming device, but decided to buy a Roku Express+ this summer.  The Roku Express+ is *much* faster and just a superior experience, and no more youtube exiting to the Roku home screen after 20 - 30 minutes into a video........up until about 3 days ago.  Now my shiny new Roku Express+ *cannot* play any youtube video over about 25 minutes without crashing back to the Roku home screen.  Again, I have done *all* the suggestions (yes, even a reboot between removing the youtube app and re-installing).  The problem persists!

I find this just amazing....I've seen *many* discussions about this issue spanning the last several years, and about 2 months into my new Roku Express+, this youtube crashing after 25 minutes or so is back again.  Youtube *HAS* to be one of the most used Roku channels, yet this problem still persists, after all this time, and now on my brand new device.

Roku, it aint good enough to blame the channel makers on this one.  It's YOUTUBE for goodness sake!!  YOU (Roku) need to get on their A$$ to fix this sht!!! No amount of nobodies like me, doing the youtube "feedback" in the youtube settings app is gonna get youtube to do anything.  Roku, YOU NEED to light the fire or your platform is done.

I'm done with it (soooo glad I wasted even more $$ on a new Roku this summer), and so will all my streamer friends that ask me about what streaming solution I would recommend....

Probably in the top 3 apps with Netflix and Amazon prime, and the youtube app *still* has this issue.  Good luck to  you Roku, but you really should be ashamed.

Trixie

Jump to solution

My Roku 3 has been having issues recently. The YouTube sound will play but no video. I need to press the options (*) bottom and the screen will appear. 

0 Kudos
Surveyor1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have a Roku 1 and amazon and hulu are affected.  Started about a week ago.  Other channels seem fine.  If you pause, rewind, or interact in any way it seems to reset the 30 minute timer.

PaulJayKay
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My problem with youtube crashing back to the home screen is probably not a "30 minute timer" thing.  I tried to watch an old movie last night and it crashed 25 minutes and 37 seconds into the movie.  Its different every time, but for me, youtube crashes around the 25 minute mark.....*every* time.

That would indicate that there is not some mysterious 30 minute timer....its probably memory/buffer related, but dang it, its a bug in youtube!

Roku, how has this bug persisted over so many iterations of hardware and software levels?

Again, what's even more baffling to me, is that the Roku folks have either not leaned on the youtube app people to fix the problem, or if they have, they have been completely ineffective in getting one of the TOP USED APPS ON THEIR PLATFORM to work without crashing after 25 minutes into a video.  Astounding...

RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks again for sharing your reports. 

Our team has resolved this issue. Please restart your device by either visiting Settings>System>System restart or by disconnecting the power for a moment. This should clear things up and help get you back to streaming. 

Cheers,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Surveyor1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I noticed yesterday things were working as they should, thank you.

0 Kudos