Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NaySao
Reel Rookie

"Playback Error" on Roku Channel app on FireTV

For some reason the Roku app on my FireTV stick will not play anything all of a sudden! It opens the app, shows me everything available to play, but when I click to play something, it gives me a Playback Error that says, "Unfortunately, we were unable to play this content. Please try again later." It's been like this for several days. I have force-closed the app, cleared cache, restarted the Fire stick device entirely, but nothing is making the content play. I have no issues with any other apps!

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
CC1111

Re: "Playback Error" on Roku Channel app on FireTV

I have the same issue and cannot even get live TV or any channels.  Everything says "Playback error.  Try again later". Has this been answered yet? I've rebooted,  signed out and back in and cleared cache.  

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @NaySao @CC1111,

Thanks for contacting us regarding your issue at the Roku Community!

We understand you are having trouble with a playback issue with The Roku Channel. Have you tried connecting your device to a different network or without using a VPN to see if there are any differences? You may also try connecting to a mobile hotspot.

Please keep us posted on how it goes.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
NaySao
Reel Rookie

@RokuJechealR unfortunately those changes did not work

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @NaySao,

Thanks for keeping us updated in the Roku Community!

We understand that you are still experiencing an issue with the Roku channel. Have you tried removing and reinstalling the affected channel? We want to ensure the process is successful; restart your Roku device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power > System Restart (if you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).

Once installed, re-authenticate or sign in to the channel and observe if the issue occurs frequently. If so, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. The channel developers themselves maintain channels on Roku. In this case, an issue within that specific channel likely needs to be addressed with an update from the channel developer.

Please keep us posted on how it goes, and we'll continue assisting you from there.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JFamily01

I am having the same issue - going on a week. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, did a force stop, cleaned the cache. Nothing.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @JFamily01,

Welcome to the Roku Community!
We'd like to investigate this issue further. Could you send us a photo or video of your running problem with the Roku channel app?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
chuckbear
Binge Watcher

Looks like there is no solution to this and no help in sight. I too am having this problem with the Roku App on my firestick. I have tried everything listed online and in this community with no resolution. I have to assume this is a problem in the Roku App and they have no intentions of fixing it anytime soon. Chuck

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @chuckbear,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

Have you tried reaching out to Fire TV customer support to confirm this issue on their device? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far? We highly suggest that you contact the device's customer support team to report the issue and get help. There might be some troubleshooting steps on their end that can be done and that need to be addressed with an update from them.
Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you.
All the best,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos