Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

channel switching while watching

Jump to solution

My 82-year-old dad called today and said every time he puts his Roku on a show or YouTube video, it switches to Fox News after only a few seconds.  It has happened multiple times.  He has unplugged it for about 15 minutes, but that didn't correct the problem.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: channel switching while watching

Jump to solution

Hello! @psgardengal,

Thank you for posting in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you contacting us about switching inputs for your Roku device. We are happy to help.

When your Roku streaming player and other devices like a cable box or Blu-ray player are connected via HDMI with CEC enabled, communication between the devices may become unstable. Should this happen, your TV may get confused and switch to a different device when you try to control your Roku streaming player with your remote.

Some Roku players support a CEC feature called 1-touch play, which tells your TV to automatically switch its active source/input to your Roku player when any button on your Roku remote is pressed.

Disable 1-touch play. On your Roku player, open the settings and turn off 1-touch play using the steps below.

1. Select Home on your Roku remote 

2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Control Other devices
  5. Uncheck 1-touch play if the box is checked
    • Note: If 1-touch play is not enabled, disable CEC on your TV instead. Contact the manufacturer if you are unable to locate the CEC settings on your TV.
  6. Power cycle your Roku player

For additional information, please see this: Why does my TV switch to a different device when I try to use my Roku streaming player?

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: channel switching while watching

Jump to solution

Hello! @psgardengal,

Thank you for posting in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you contacting us about switching inputs for your Roku device. We are happy to help.

When your Roku streaming player and other devices like a cable box or Blu-ray player are connected via HDMI with CEC enabled, communication between the devices may become unstable. Should this happen, your TV may get confused and switch to a different device when you try to control your Roku streaming player with your remote.

Some Roku players support a CEC feature called 1-touch play, which tells your TV to automatically switch its active source/input to your Roku player when any button on your Roku remote is pressed.

Disable 1-touch play. On your Roku player, open the settings and turn off 1-touch play using the steps below.

1. Select Home on your Roku remote 

2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Control Other devices
  5. Uncheck 1-touch play if the box is checked
    • Note: If 1-touch play is not enabled, disable CEC on your TV instead. Contact the manufacturer if you are unable to locate the CEC settings on your TV.
  6. Power cycle your Roku player

For additional information, please see this: Why does my TV switch to a different device when I try to use my Roku streaming player?

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.