Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SheriDL
Channel Surfer

Re: Apple TV App - Video Unavailable

Jump to solution

Ok. My Vizio HD TV 240hz sps is not a Smart TV, but all other streaming apps work with it using the new Roku Ultra LT *except* Apple TV app.  I get the Video is not available msg, but my HDMI connection is fine.  Roku Video is on auto select, but if I try to change to the setting the other fellow mentioned, it shows incompatibility. Seems crazy that I would need a different TV just to watch shows on this app.  The AppleTV app plays fine on my other Vizio TV using Roku Ultra, but it is a bit newer & is a smart TV. Any tricks you can share? The app's movie & show menu displays just fine.

0 Kudos
DonP1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This won't be directly helpful, but my theory is that the problem is some bug in the Apple TV+ app that incorrectly decides what version of a video to request from the server, and in some cases it asks for a non-existent version.  For instance, in my case, I would guess it was asking for a 1080/24p version of shows, and this didn't exist, so it failed.  And then turning off the "allow framerate adjustment" or whatever it was called restricted it to a 1080/30p version, which does exist.

And it's all infuriating because if we could raise the attention of the app maintainers (I suspect Apple, but maybe not) it could probably be fixed.  But no.

Flyinace2000
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@DonP1 wrote:

This won't be directly helpful, but my theory is that the problem is some bug in the Apple TV+ app that incorrectly decides what version of a video to request from the server, and in some cases it asks for a non-existent version.  For instance, in my case, I would guess it was asking for a 1080/24p version of shows, and this didn't exist, so it failed.  And then turning off the "allow framerate adjustment" or whatever it was called restricted it to a 1080/30p version, which does exist.

And it's all infuriating because if we could raise the attention of the app maintainers (I suspect Apple, but maybe not) it could probably be fixed.  But no.

You could be on to something. Another bug I would experience is that it would load the 4K version to play on my 1080p screen. Then it would not scale and instead only show me the top left of the video!  

0 Kudos
Flyinace2000
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Just got the error again. I guess the cables were not the issue. 

Techrules
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Did you try changing the roku video settings from 4k hdr 60 hz to 4k 60 hz ?

0 Kudos
Flyinace2000
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@Techrules wrote:

Did you try changing the roku video settings from 4k hdr 60 hz to 4k 60 hz ?

Already set to 1080p (not auto)

0 Kudos
SheriDL
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Ok, check it out.  Turned it on today to check & see if the auto-adjust display refresh rate was switched OFF, as others had mentioned.  It was already OFF.  I changed nothing.  Today Apple TV+ is working.  I turned it off, tried again, all good, whether a regular series program or movie - everything works.  Is it possible Apple was working out a bug in this app overnight?

Also want to note that yesterday I had gone through all the troubleshooting steps (unplugging both power and HDMI, waiting, plugging back in, resetting, on & on & on).

Jump to solution

Yes this works well ..turn off auto detect refresh rate

0 Kudos
DonP1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I see that there is indeed a new version of the app on my Premiere: however, in my case, it didn't fix my problem (previously fixed with the auto-adjust thing). But maybe they did fix something that helped some people, in which case, great!

0 Kudos
SPrins

Jump to solution

It didn’t work for us - it wouldn’t let us use the 40k 60 hz. Cancelling the trial right now. 

0 Kudos