Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YazK

Re: Youtube on Roku no longer allows playback speed adjustment like on a browser.

Jump to solution

This has been an ongoing issue with ONLY my Roku Premiere.  I have 2 roku tvs and another roku device in my home, all of which I can change the playback speed on, EXCEPT for the Roku Premiere.  

It is clearly running an older version ove YouTube,  but manually checking for updates shows it is up to date. I have tried removing the app, rebooting my roku and re installing the YouTube app and it still downloads the older version. 

As I said, this is ONLY on the Roku Premiere and I have seen many other posts across the internet while trying to solve this problem and most seem to mention they are having the issue with the Premiere roku model.

I have tried to contact YouTube but haven't been able to get any answers there either. 

0 Kudos
ksbsnowowl

Re: Youtube on Roku no longer allows playback speed adjustment like on a browser.

Jump to solution

Wish this would get fixed. 

For the longest time there was no hint of the playback speed function on Roku, after it was removed ~2022. Not even under the settings gear icon. Now playback speed shows up in the menu under the gear, but it states the function isn’t available. A step in the right direction?

So now I’m watching stuff on my Amazon FireTV stick, which does allow playback speed functionality on the YouTube app. 

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

It has been stated numerous times, but let's say it again. Roku has no control over the functionality of 3rd party apps/channels. YouTube is owned by Google, and Google is responsible for the functionality of the YouTube app on Roku devices. Roku themselves have no power to "make" Google do anything to their apps. And don't forget that Google sells a streaming device in direct competition of Roku devices, so Google might not really care if they remove functionality of their apps on other devices.

You, the user of Google's services, are the only ones that have any possible power with Google to update their app. Just don't expect Google to really care about fixing it. The YouTube app on Roku devices is always the first one to no longer work well on older devices. That's simply the way Google works. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Cobranut
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I'm watching Guns and Gadgets right now, and the playback speed is still not showing on my Roku!
It frustrating that google is removing functionality from their services. 😠

0 Kudos
Wallaby07
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

As of the YouTube 20240714 update on my Roku 4660x, I now have the speed setting back on the gear but its listed as "Not available on this device"

I have been missing it for over a year, tried to contact YouTube on there website, nothing crickets.

I think the "Not available on this device" being added is to get rid of us reporting it as a bug.

only thing I can suggest as Roku is not helping us. Is a send feedback campaign to request the feature.

its under.

Main settings/Send feedback/Select Issue/Suggest a feature/Want to control playback speed/Submit report.

Maybe they will say something, if we all do it.

I don't use twitter X but I hear they do sometime respond there.

Wallaby

Cobranut
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution
Done. I plan to do this every day. Let's all inundate them until they finally listen to their users.
0 Kudos
wlkr95

Jump to solution

What brand TV do you have. All of my tvs are Roku tvs and i can change the speed on youtube. All with the exception of my TCL Roku TV.

0 Kudos
tinlizzie131
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the same issue with MHz on my computer vs on my Roku.  I watch French movies and depend on lowering the speed to 75% so I can understand what is being said.  I can do that with a movie on my MHZ account on my laptop, but when I switch to watch the movie on my Roku, I don't see any way to adjust the speed.  Same app, same movie - should therefore offer the same setting choices, no?  What's up with Roku?

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@tinlizzie131 wrote:

I have the same issue with MHz on my computer vs on my Roku.  I watch French movies and depend on lowering the speed to 75% so I can understand what is being said.  I can do that with a movie on my MHZ account on my laptop, but when I switch to watch the movie on my Roku, I don't see any way to adjust the speed.  Same app, same movie - should therefore offer the same setting choices, no?  What's up with Roku?

Because Google doesn't offer the same functionality of their YouTube app on different devices. Google owns YouTube, and they have sole control over the functionality of their app on Roku devices. To my knowledge there is no 3rd party app for YouTube on Roku devices, so you're stuck with whatever Google offers. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
tinlizzie131
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you, Dan.  I shouldn't have posted on the page having solely to do with Youtube and Roku.  My issue is similar but with an app (MHz), just like BritBox.  When I log into that app on my laptop and watch a movie, I have the usual options in the bottom left corner, including Speed.  I can slow down or speed up the playback. When I log into the same app using my Roku and watch the same movie, the app remembers where in the movie I was.  But the options within the movie playback are not there.  The only ones I see are the overall Roku settings like turning closed captioning on or off for everything.  I should try the same thing using Prime - I'll bet it will be the same.  I don't understand why, but the bottom line is either I'm missing something, or it's a flaw that Roku should address.  

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.