Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Loon
Reel Rookie

YouTube app resolution issue

I'm hoping someone can help? As of this week, the YouTube app on my Roku Premier 3920EU (UK) is limiting the resolution on video playback. 

Videos that play in 1080 on my laptop are being restricted to 720 on the app with no option to go higher. 4K videos are being restricted to 1440. Again, with no option to go higher, yet on my laptop I can see all the available resolutions. I noticed this first on livestreams, but after checking a number of videos, it appears to be every video I check, livestream and normal videos.

I've checked and reset the display resolution on the Roku, uninstalled the YouTube app, rebooted Roku and reinstalled the YouTube app to no avail. Resolution is still being restricted, in each case to the resolution below the highest option (4K to 1440, 1080 to 720, etc).

Other apps such as Prime, Netflix and Disney all work with the correct resolution, so it seems to be limited to just the YouTube app. The TV says that the Roku is outputting 4K.

Given that other apps output at the correct resolution and the correct resolutions are available on the laptop, phone and tablet, I feel I can rule out the wifi connection (although, this has been reset too, just in case).

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Labels (2)
3 REPLIES 3
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: YouTube app resolution issue

Hi @Loon

Welcome to the Roku Community. 

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach them here: Youtube Support

Don't hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance in the future.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Loon
Reel Rookie

Thanks Nimfa

I've already contacted them before coming here, but they couldn't pinpoint what the fault is. They ended up just telling me to report the fault on their support website. I came here in the hope someone else may have had this and figured out the issue already.

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@Loon

Thank you for letting us know. Reporting the fault on their support website is a good step forward. We'll be sure to share your feedback with the channel developer to let them know about the issue you're running into. We'd recommend continuing to follow up with them about their channel on the Roku platform for further news and status updates.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos