Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jtfendel72
Reel Rookie

YouTube TV app removed from Roku

I have a Roku TV, and 2 other Roku devices. I will be switching all my streaming devices and getting Apple TV or Google Chromcast since Roku thought it was a good idea to remove YouTube TV! These 💩 companies make decisions for their viewers, well we don’t have to buy their products! And, they still have it advertised that YouTube TV is included - this is false advertising. Class action to come! 

0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: YouTube TV app removed from Roku

It appears to be there when I look:

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/34e0b0ce5c05af0733dbcd45f1c46734/youtube-tv

How are you determining that it was removed?

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Jtfendel72
Reel Rookie

Because I just bought a new device and it was in fact removed on new devices. If you have it on an older device it will remain, but new devices no longer have it installed. 

0 Kudos
denhow
Roku Guru

What new device are you talking about? I have a Roku Express 4K+, which is a fairly new device. I don't use YouTube TV so I don't have it installed. But I just checked the Channel Store and it's available to install.

Strega2
Roku Guru

There are many Roku apps and only a fraction come pre-installed.  Typically, if you set up a new Roku on the same Roku account as the previous Roku(s), then the same apps automatically download.  However, if you have changed Roku accounts, then you will need to download them again.

Or if you mean those 4 buttons on the bottom of remote, those are for advertising (Roku gets paid to put those on there) so any new Roku might have any 4 preset buttons.  But this doesn’t limit what apps you can run, it just means that some apps may or may not be accessible via a single button press.

Jtfendel72
Reel Rookie

I’m saying you can not download or get YouTube TV AT ALL on any new Roku device. Any newer device does not have it and you are not able to get the channel added unless you open YouTube and open YouTube TV through the regular YouTube app.  Not ideal every time you want to watch tv. Look up Google and Roku dispute. Roku removed the app as a result of their dispute. I’m taking back my new device that does not have the option to download or use YouTube TV app. 

0 Kudos
denhow
Roku Guru

Are you talking about the dispute between Google and Roku which was settled in December 2021?

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Yeah if you search for: youtube tv removed from roku

You get lots of news reports from 2021 when that happened, but that dispute ended long ago.  I see nothing about any current issue,  (Except for this thread.)

Strega2
Roku Guru

As a test, I just added YouTube TV to my current-model Roku.  There was no problem doing that,

MonthieNo4
Channel Surfer

Re: YouTube TV app removed it from Roku

It’s because Roku TV has integrated YouTubeTV into the regular YouTube app now. Apple TV has a separate YouTube TV app, but Roku TV has it both in one. I just set it up last week for my dad on his Roku TV. It’s nice because he doesn’t have to exit YouTube to get YouTube TV. On the left hand side, scroll down to the TV module and you’ll have the full YouTube TV app access. It’s a twofer.