Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mordris
Reel Rookie

Weird Color Pixelation on Some Channels When Switching from Show to Commercial and Back

This is happening with me also and is a frustrating issue.  It was fixed prior to 12.0 but now it's back with a vengeance.

I would gladly take any tips on fixing it. I have both an Nvidia Shield and a smart tv and this issue only happens with the Roku device.  I expect there is some weird coding the commercials are made it that the Roku struggles to encode when it switches but I haven't been able to figure it out.

Please help on this issue.  Thanks

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Weird Color Pixelation on Some Channels When Switching from Show to Commercial and Back

Hi @Mordris,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear that an issue you've previously encountered has occurred once again. We would be more than glad to assist you with this, and we'll need more information to understand the issue better. Is this issue happening to a specific channel? Additionally, what troubleshooting steps have you taken so far, and what are the steps to reproduce the issue?

With more detailed information, we'll be able to assist further.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Weird Color Pixelation on Some Channels When Switching from Show to Commercial and Back

@Mordris-

Roku menu path Settings/System/About will show your Roku model and model number. It's a good idea to report these when asking questions because different models have different features and capabilities. If we know the model you can get better targeted suggestions.

Under "Settings > System > Advanced system Settings > Advanced display settings" does your Roku have an "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" item?   If you don't have this setting, the rest of this post doesn't apply to you.

If this is enabled, the Roku circuitry sends the signal output at the refresh rate (frame rate) used by the original source material, commonly 24 fps (frames per second), 25 fps, 30 fps, 50 fps, or 60 fps. Every time the source frame rate changes, the TV must adjust its display to accommodate the new frame rate, which on many sets results in a short blackout, a white flash, or perhaps your set displays some pixilation.

This can happen when starting/stopping new programs, and when going in/out/between commercial breaks that have a different native frame rate than the programs they are inserted into.

If "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" is set OFF, or if your Roku does not have this option, Roku converts everything to a frame rate of 60 fps and the TV doesn't have to adjust on the fly.

The tradeoff here is that movement of things on the screen for non-60 fps sources may not be as smooth with no frame rate adjustment, depending on whether your Roku or your TV does a better job of refresh rate conversion. You have to decide whether this change is worth it to you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos