Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Swede3400
Reel Rookie

Watching the latest episodes

Jump to solution

I thought with Roku I was supposed to be able to watch a program the day after it aired. It has been 9 days since my favorite show aired on NBC and I get "Unlock content now by linking your TV provider." when I tried to watch it. I don't have a TV provider. I cut the cable years ago and only use my provider for the internet. I am fed up with Roku not doing what I was told it's supposed to do. Can someone please tell me why it does this? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Swede3400
Reel Rookie

Re: Watching the latest episodes

Jump to solution

Thank you. It was the ad for Roku itself that led me to believe I could watch my local channels the next day after airing. With what I'm paying for internet plus having to pay for 3 other channels I may as well go back to cable.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I generally don’t do ads myself, but I wouldn’t trust them in general - certainly not to provide a "full picture"!

With so many ways to get TV, I would expect most options to be reasonably competitive.  Streaming currently provides a lot more flexibility than a typical cable TV package, but making good use of that flexibility requires the user to be flexible too.  ie: if you demand that streaming provide the same channels and features as cable, then it might not cost less. On the other hand, if you watch Tubi and/or The Roku Channel, and some of the many other completely free channels, then you can do streaming for no monthly cost.  (I don't, because of my no-ads preference, but some people can stand it! 😀)

Banned but back. Because why not?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

A roku is a streaming TV device that runs various apps.  Exactly how any app works is up to its creator.

It sounds like you are running one or more apps that want you to have a TV provider (so they can be paid through the provider.)   Many apps like Netflix, Prime Video, Max, Paramount+, Tubi, etc. have no need of a provider.  Choose the apps you prefer.

Oh and don't trust the advice of the guy who told you what Roku was supposed to do on anything expensive or important. 

0 Kudos
Swede3400
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you. It was the ad for Roku itself that led me to believe I could watch my local channels the next day after airing. With what I'm paying for internet plus having to pay for 3 other channels I may as well go back to cable.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I generally don’t do ads myself, but I wouldn’t trust them in general - certainly not to provide a "full picture"!

With so many ways to get TV, I would expect most options to be reasonably competitive.  Streaming currently provides a lot more flexibility than a typical cable TV package, but making good use of that flexibility requires the user to be flexible too.  ie: if you demand that streaming provide the same channels and features as cable, then it might not cost less. On the other hand, if you watch Tubi and/or The Roku Channel, and some of the many other completely free channels, then you can do streaming for no monthly cost.  (I don't, because of my no-ads preference, but some people can stand it! 😀)

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.