Well...something happened, but it isn't clear who did what.
Here's a little story. On the 16th, I used a Roku that has been powered down for a few months. It worked fine, but since I was just watching one of my local recordings, I had no reason to check the history. I usually turn off the physical switch on the power strip when I'm not using that TV, but that night, I forgot to power it down, so it's not hard to imagine that the Roku would have updated itself.
Today, the 18th, after reading here that something had changed, I went to that same untouched Roku to see if anything had changed. What I found was that the Roku had become unresponsive. I changed the batteries in the remote, thinking that they might have given their last energy on the 16th, but the Roku was still unresponsive. At that point I point, I hard-cycled the power, and the Roku came back to life, although there were some seconds of unresponsiveness and unusual screen flashes.
When it finally settled down, I checked the history, and there was none, but I noticed too that I was no longer logged in. Very interesting. Then, just for fun, I logged back in from the TV interface, which hasn't worked for a long time, but this time it did. I logged into my main account and my brand channels came along with the main one. I didn't spend a lot of time with it, but there was some history showing. I have not verified as to whether the history propagates between devices.
So then I looked at the software version and noticed that it was 10.5.0 build 4208. I also noticed that the date of the last update was on the 16th. Roku posted a press release about 10.5 on September 20th, but no way to tell when any specific device would have received the update, and certainly no way to tell when build 4208 arrived. But internet chatter about 4208 seems to have started just recently. People are complaining of audio dropouts, loss of Tablo DVR functionality, YouTube not loading and/or freezing..lots of grief surrounding 10.5.0.
So maybe Google fixed it, but it also seems possible that Roku may have fixed it with build 4208. If indeed it actually is "fixed". I need to try switching my other Roku's back to "normal" logins and then spend some time with it. I hope all of you guys will do the same and then let me know what you see. If it's fixed, then I guess I'm glad, but I would have liked it a lot better if someone would have acknowledged the problem and let us know what it took to make it work again. The lack of transparency is irritating.