Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lizette
Reel Rookie

Re: Watch history not updating on Roku TV YouTube App

Jump to solution

I have 4 roku Ultra's using different accounts and all 4 of them are no longer recording history since about a month ago. This suggested solutions does not work. 

Edit: Sorry I did not see all the pages. So I can see this is a real confirmed issue and wont be resolved soon if ever. 

0 Kudos
MrMark
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I doubt that this will get fixed until such time if/when Roku and Google come to terms.

0 Kudos
dfhepner

Jump to solution

YouTube app on Amazon's Fire stick does not work either.

0 Kudos
proto57
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku doesn't save YouTube search history

Jump to solution

Have you gotten a solution to your problem yet? I have the same problem. I think you might have a clue in your question, because like you, I do not use my "default" google ID, but rather I use my youtube ID.

When the youtube app logged me out recently, by itself, I was forced to sign back in. When I did, I did use my youtube/google ID. But for the first time, it started showing my google ID in the opening screen, the one asking who was using youtube.

So I think that there is something in this, having now seen that a similar thing is happening to you. We can't be the only two... why is no one else talking about this? The usability of the Roku Youtube app is really poor, if I can't go back to previous searches without typing them all in again.

Proto

MrMark
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I agree - the broken YouTube app is all but useless to me.  But sadly, Roku has done nothing but to deflect.  And YouTube is Google, so they don't have to bow down to anyone.  I philosophically agree that Google shouldn't have their way just because they are more powerful than Roku, but that is, after all, how things work in the real world.  I would happily sign a "Dethrone Google" petition, but it would take an epic uprising to change Google's direction at this point.  Heck, most people don't even realize that Google is not their benevolent advocate.

But having said that, by perpetuating the feud, Roku is doing a disservice to their customers.  That's on them - not Google.  Everyone who bought a Roku device did so with the expectation they it would work with YouTube, because that is the expectation that Roku set.  Roku needs to honor that promise by doing whatever it takes to make it work again.  After that, they can duke it out with Google on their own time.  If Roku can present their case in a way that enlightens the jury as to just exactly what Google has become, that jury just might decide against the beast.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@MrMark how can Roku be deflecting? They didn't create the YouTube channel, Google did. And Google is sole control over the functionality of their channel on different platforms. 

Roku can't make a "broken" channel work. They don't have the programming code, and it's not their responsibility. Unfortunately, with the current dispute between Google and Roku, I don't feel Google is going to put any effort into their channel. They would much rather have you purchase a Chromecast, which they happen to make.

Myself personally, I take Roku's side with their dispute with Google. And if Google decides to pull YouTube from Roku completely (so far they claim they will continue to support devices that have it installed currently), I'll live. I probably spend too much time watching YT anyway, and there's plenty more available from other providers. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
MrMark
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Dan we can all "live" without YouTube.  Or Roku too, for that matter.  But the point is that as a YouTube content creator and editor for several YouTube channels, I need to be able to view YouTube on TVs.  And it is essential to be able to see watch history.  I bought multiple Roku devices for this purpose.  In the past, Roku marketed the devices in a way that prominently featured YouTube, so the current failure to deliver YouTube would be seen by most, including myself, as a breach of promise. 

You said, "...probably spend too much time watching YT anyway, and there's plenty more available from other providers" but I bought a bunch of Roku devices for the explicit purpose of supporting my YouTube work, so the idea of streaming something else instead is absurd.  I can't switch to the Roku Channel just because Roku would rather me watch that than to honor their marketing promises. 

Today they are featuring HBOmax right above their own channel, so one would expect the device to work with HBOmax.  Indeed, one might buy a Roku for the explicit purpose of watching that content.  So what happens when Roku gets into a feud with any of the ten channels they are currently featuring under the heading of "Stream what you love"? No more of what you love?

I submit that it's not "okay" to intentionally fail to deliver on promises.  You say "Roku can't make a "broken" channel work", but that is true only in the most literal sense, because it is certainly within Roku's power to facilitate making a broken channel work.  They would just have to value their customers as much as they value their own personal agenda.  Which, by the way, should rightfully have customer satisfaction near the top, but as we are learning, that simple isn't true anymore, assuming that it ever was.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I understand your point as a content creator/provider. But it's Google that has made you promises, not Roku. There's a statement within the Roku user terms of use that channels can be removed/changed at any time. They don't and can't promise that something currently available will always be there. 

Yes, it's frustrating at times being caught in the middle of two companies bickering. And we as users have very little choice. We can wait for the children to quit fighting, acquire a different player (that at some point might well have the same fight), or simply walk away.

While I said I could live without YT, I do feel it would be a loss. There's a lot of interesting-to-me content available (perhaps even some of yours!), and it has been instrumental helping troubleshoot and/or complete a repair of some item I have. And sometimes it's just plain goofy fun to watch. I would miss it if Roku was my only option to view them. But between computers, smart TVs, other streaming players and tablets, I have plenty of available players.

And that's something Roku needs to remember as well. They aren't the only fish in the pond. They have a lot of good will built up over the years. They have built many decent streaming players, and have an good, easy to use interface. But they are in danger of losing much of that support if they don't work better are communications, and doing their best to ensure the content that people want to watch is available on their devices. Over the years they've done that well. But over the past 12 months or so, their halo is slipping. They need to catch it before it falls. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
MrMark
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

To be fair, Google hasn't promised anything, as far as I know.  In fact, they they are self-righteous in their lack of commitment.  And it is Roku that I bought the streaming players from, not Google.

"their halo is slipping"

LOL and agreed.

0 Kudos
Lizette
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

"@prot@proto57 wrote:

because like you, I do not use my "default" google ID, but rather I use my youtube ID.

When the youtube app logged me out recently, by itself, I was forced to sign back in. When I did, I did use my youtube/google ID. But for the first time, it started showing my google ID in the opening screen, the one asking who was using youtube."

I was complaining about watch history and not search history it appears the 2 problems might be related to using YoutubeID or GoogleID.

I have tested this and if I switch accounts to GoogleID, my watch and search history works as normal, but when using my YoutubeID is does not record. So the problem lies with their recent change to how users are handled.

I would have happily just switch to my googleID but all my libraries and subscriptions are on my youtubeID. I will look into seeing if their is a way to migrate them. Not a solution to they actual problem but a way around it.

Thanks for shedding some light on @ least my problem.

0 Kudos