Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
3rdofjuly

Vizio TV and Roku Device: I can't barely see any video on any channel on my Vizio TV

Jump to solution

I can't barely see any video on any channel on my Vizio TV. I already unplug and plug again the TV and also my Roku box but the issue is still the same. Please help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Vizio TV and Roku Device: I can't barely see any video on any channel on my Vizio TV

Jump to solution

Could you be more specific about what you mean by "barely see"? Is it like the screen is not being illuminated? Is the screen OK when watching something else, such as a broadcast TV channel (that doesn't use the Roku)? 

If you are referring to the image being very dark, that sounds like the backlight in your TV has failed. For a modern digital TV, there's several different methods of illuminating the screen. One is plasma, which I don't think is in use anymore as they were limited to 1080 resolution. Another is using a fluorescent light behind the LCD panel. This is the most common light used on inexpensive LCD TVs. Another is with LED lighting either directly behind the LCD panel or indirectly from LEDs along the edge. And the latest technology is OLED, which has some similarities with plasma but instead uses LEDs themselves as the pixel elements. 

Odds are your TV uses the fluorescent light behind the panel, and the light has failed. The cost of repair is likely as much or more than simply replacing the TV, with the larger screen sizes perhaps more cost effective to repair. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Vizio TV and Roku Device: I can't barely see any video on any channel on my Vizio TV

Jump to solution

Could you be more specific about what you mean by "barely see"? Is it like the screen is not being illuminated? Is the screen OK when watching something else, such as a broadcast TV channel (that doesn't use the Roku)? 

If you are referring to the image being very dark, that sounds like the backlight in your TV has failed. For a modern digital TV, there's several different methods of illuminating the screen. One is plasma, which I don't think is in use anymore as they were limited to 1080 resolution. Another is using a fluorescent light behind the LCD panel. This is the most common light used on inexpensive LCD TVs. Another is with LED lighting either directly behind the LCD panel or indirectly from LEDs along the edge. And the latest technology is OLED, which has some similarities with plasma but instead uses LEDs themselves as the pixel elements. 

Odds are your TV uses the fluorescent light behind the panel, and the light has failed. The cost of repair is likely as much or more than simply replacing the TV, with the larger screen sizes perhaps more cost effective to repair. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.