Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KLancaster
Reel Rookie

Re: Video stutters / choppy with Apple TV channel

Jump to solution

Please, Roku Support, post a more succinct link for actual Apple support? Following the "answer" I found in here, I wandered aimlessly through dozens of Apple Support pages and several communities wafting philosophically, but not offering fixes. It appears this choppy playback is a common problem with the #AppleTV app on compatible Roku/Sharp TVs. All of our other channels run fine. After two or so weeks of AppleTV enjoyment, that channel's playback is consistently choppy. I have done the weird empty cache procedure (5 Homes, up arrow, 2 rewinds, 2 fast forwards) on my remote three or four times, it fixed it for a while the first time. I've also removed AppleTV channel and reinstalled. And then did the weird empty cache thing. What next? I don't want to watch Ted Lasso on a small screen.

0 Kudos
TKat7
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have fiber internet, but I changed the playback in the Apple TV app from HD to SD and the choppy sound stopped immediately. 

The Roku "solution" to contact Apple demonstrates a lack of effort to assist consumers. 

mark08
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I finally solved the problem.  Sold my TCL Roku TV and bought one with Android TV. 

Works PERFECTLY!!!!!!!

dman71
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@TKat7 wrote:

I have fiber internet, but I changed the playback in the Apple TV app from HD to SD and the choppy sound stopped immediately. 

The Roku "solution" to contact Apple demonstrates a lack of effort to assist consumers

Exactly!!

With this being my first post as a new customer, i am, right out of the gate, noticing way too many scripted, looped responses from Mods. Geez, get the customers help with solutions other than passing the buck to the program maintainer.  Replying with the same scripted response, over and over, especially within the same subject being discussed, is really not much help.

0 Kudos
Texas-Mark
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@TKat7 wrote:

How did you change the playback? I see no options in the app on the Roku Express.

0 Kudos
TKat7
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

In the Apple TV app, go to the cog wheel in the top-right of the header menu, then go to “Limit Playback to SD” 🙌🏽

0 Kudos
mitchd
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Doesn’t forcing down rez to SD defeat the whole idea of buying a HD device?

0 Kudos
Texas-Mark
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@mitchd wrote:

Doesn’t forcing down rez to SD defeat the whole idea of buying a HD device?

Not if watching it in HD is impossible due to the video/audio stuttering every few seconds. 

0 Kudos
Texas-Mark
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@TKat7 wrote:

In the Apple TV app, go to the cog wheel in the top-right of the header menu, then go to “Limit Playback to SD” 

Thanks. That "bandaided"  the issue.. 

0 Kudos
TKat7
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It may be an issue for people who have the expectation to only watch HD and invested for that purpose. The solution I used may not be ideal for them, but it's much better than dealing with the chop-stutter.

Apple and Roku need to work together to fix the issue so that consumers don't have to resort to these compromises. 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.