Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MindiG73

Re: Royalbox and royalbox ITV

I also lost access to Royal box and I TV and the programs that we’re trying to watch you cannot watch on other channels the last two seasons of the only way is Essex you cannot see anywhere else

0 Kudos
agirl

Same.  I paid $5 for the app and now it is gone with no explanation. I feel like I should get my money back?

MilesT
Roku Guru

@Worf64  The Royalbox I believe has a license to be able to do this for I have it in other devices 

Proof please of license!. 

The developer doesn't look like they have a "proper" website for advertisements and support, and certainly no FAQ which says they license the content

BBC and ITV (and their contracted independent producers) licence content for OTA (and their catchup app) for UK broadcast only, and should be protecting their content and commercial relationship

Some of what is on e.g. iPlayer would need a subscription to some other service outside UK, as that is where the content has been syndicated.  Some will be on official BBC/ITV service Britbox, some will be on Acorn.

I think what Royalbox is doing on other devices is also breaking copyright, and maybe the slumbering giants have awoken and are dealing with this now, by legal injunction (hence no warning) or threat.  Or Roku is scared of that and pulled the plug before getting an injunction.

Personally, as a UK TV licence fee payer, I am annoyed that BBC hasn't been doing enough to prevent this, as it will have financial impact to them (and they are financially stretched).

Roku made an error in certifying the channel, and any money they handled through their payment system needs to be refunded.

Not a Roku employee
Worf64
Channel Surfer

Although your thoughts and opinions are sound, and if this to be true, what is at hand here that Roku decided to end a paid channel and it needs to make it right by refunding those who paid. That is what needs to be focused, not to debate legalities, that is left to those who get paid to defend what’s right and wrong in the interest of money and dues in the name of big companies. If the other post a read, we can see there are many who need to get refunded. This is the only fair course. And I believe if one reaches out to Roku, it’s within the hopes that they will with no complications refund the fee paid. But I do appreciate your thoughts and opinions (Miles T). 

mafooli
Binge Watcher

IPlayer and other UK catch-ups not working through roku. WORKS FINE THROUGH BT BOX

Hi,

I see others posting and getting generic replies from support, but no UK catch-ups are working on a new TV i bought my mum (TCL Roku)

I see all the suggestions - reset network, factory reset TV, update TV, update app. THESE DO NOT WORK. 

It works fine on my phone, BT box, laptop. It’s quite obvious roku is the issue, and as Iplayer and others are plastered on the box (and thus is false advertising if the apps don’t work) how do we fix this, or what is Roku doing to fix this as a matter of urgency? nothing works, it’s ridiculous. 

Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: IPlayer and other UK catch-ups not working through roku. WORKS FINE THROUGH BT BOX

@mafooli  Roku does not develop the 90% of the channels that are downloadable on ones Roku. If you go to the Roku Channel store you see that the iPlayer is developed by BBC. Therefore Roku cannot fix it. Just like Apple cannot fix an issue with Facebook on ones iPhone. Meta has to. There is also only one official BBC iPlayer. There are 3 unofficial BBC iPlayers. Do not use those. Also BBC is having down issues 

https://downdetector.co.uk/status/iplayer/

0 Kudos
mafooli
Binge Watcher

Re: IPlayer and other UK catch-ups not working through roku. WORKS FINE THROUGH BT BOX

Have you seen the influx of other problems on here? all are roku smart TVs, all are given spurious troubleshooting methods which don’t work and roku support just reply “welp, it’s a bbc problem” NO uk apps such as itv, channel 4 or bbc work. literally google “roku iplayer not working” and see the litany of threads with no resolve. instead of passing blame and not even *looking* in to it as a possible issue, Roku need to look in to this. 

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@mafooli  I guess you really don’t know how things work. Apple makes iPhones that run iOS. Software developers make apps that are compatible with iOS. When those apps don’t work properly with iOS it is not Apples responsibility to fix them. When Adobe doesn’t work properly on Windows it’s not up to Microsoft to fix the issue. When your Google Chrome 3rd party extension doesn’t work properly it’s not up to Google to fix it. The list goes on and on. The reason you can Google the issue is cause the BBC developers can’t figure out the issue. It’s not Roku’s job to figure out why the BBC iPlayer isn’t working properly. Do they make the code for the iPlayer? No. I will leave it at this one picture. Pay attention Notice who the developer isNotice who the developer is

0 Kudos
mafooli
Binge Watcher

please don’t get personal and comment on intelligence - this is a well known issue and instead of fanboying, there needs to be a solution. it’s 5 apps on roku that everyone is having issues with - apps that are made by different companies and roku support telling users to factory reset or reset network, and when that doesn’t work, offering no support at all and stopping replying, is ridiculous. 

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@mafooli  Nothing is personal. You obviously don’t understand his things work. I have plenty of evidence on how apps/channels work across all platforms. So tell me this. If your Facebook app on your iPhone isn’t working properly who is responsible to correct the app? 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.