Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgtwrites
Channel Surfer

Viaplay on Roku channels - disappointed with changes

I am well into my second year of a Viaplay annual subscription through Roku channels and I'm ready to pull the plug and switch to Amazon Viaplay when my sub is up.

I was watching Gasmamman S1 last night, 9/10/2024. Tonight, I wanted to continue, but I can't find the series. On top of that, there is no longer a "Continue Watching" row. Many tiles for content now show a $ sign. (My sub goes into Jan. 2025.) I searched provider for the series, and I received no results.

On top of that, when I was watching Gasmamman last night, there were instances of dialogue with no subtitles. I have experienced subtitle issues before. During S1E5 of Exit, the subtitles had nothing to do with the scene. I waited patiently for this to resolve, backed up and eventually started over, but nothing fixed it.

Bring back the Continue Watching row, get Gasmamman to show as a series, and straighten out the subtitle issues. I've also posted elsewhere months ago in the community about Beneath the Surface showing Keeping Faith episode information, and that's still not fixed. It appears not much effort is put into making Viaplay a desirable product on Roku. This is sad, because there is a lot of good content. Please raise your standards.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Viaplay on Roku channels - disappointed with changes

@jgtwrites 

I am seeing Gasmamman as available through Mhz (S4 and 5), but not ViaPlay. (comes up both through the provider search and the general Search from the Roku Home Screen).  Although it does look like it is supposed to be available through ViaPlay according to online sources.

Wonder if just a glitch. (I had searched for it the other day on ViaPlay and figured it was just no longer available).

As for the Continue Watching, try looking under the "What to Watch" left side menu item. (if not enabled, enable it from Settings/Home Screen/What to Watch/[Show]

You should also be able to find the Continue Watching after launching the Roku Channel as well.

I think the Save List and Continue Watching rows on the Home Screen was a test feature from Roku and was being tested on select user devices. (these test features come and go and may/may not be implemented into a future OS build).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
jgtwrites
Channel Surfer

I went through many steps to try to find Gasmamman before posting here:

1) Searched within the Viaplay Roku Channel after trying and failing to find Continue Watching in this area. This is not the first time the Continue Watching row has been missing from the Viaplay app. But this time was a bigger issue because I couldn't find the show through search or scrolling through just about every row of content.

2) Searched via the Roku Search function after finding that Continue Watching was not showing under What to Watch. 

3) I checked for a Roku update and it stated the unit was up to date.

4) I restarted the Roku unit and tried everything again listed under 1 & 2 above.

This isn't imagined, I'm not making it up, this is a legitimate issue. I appreciate you trying to help, but does anybody who works for Roku actually monitor these forums? If not, what is the best contact for customer service? I reported the Beneath the Surface issue quite a while ago.

[TRC] Viaplay- Beneath the Surface series episode ... - Roku Community

<crickets>

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@jgtwrites 

Usually the developer is responsible for handling issues with their app/channel.

If you go to https://help.viaplay.com/is/ and scroll down you will see a "show articles" section that explains why content may no longer be available and there is also a "contact us" link at very bottom.  Viaplay is going to be in a much better position to explain if there is an actual issue going on. 

The link to the contact page is located here https://help.viaplay.com/is/request/?token=8634950698.

---

As for support from Roku, can certainly page @RokuCarly and @RokuJechealR to enter this thread and take down some info, but you will likely do better communicating directly with ViaPlay.

---

Regarding the Continue Watching issue, some other users are reporting similar disappearances.  Try unplugging your device for a few minutes if the System Restart did not work for you.  Usually it will return to affected devices but make take a day or so. (likely a cloud/server issue).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @jgtwrites1

Greetings from the Roku Community.

We appreciate you reaching out for support and for letting us know about this. We'd be happy to provide further information regarding this case. 

In addition to what our Community expert provided above, you may directly reach out to the channel provider for further assistance about the content you are referring to as they manage and maintain their own app on the Roku streaming platform. 

You may refer to the link provided by our Community Expert.

Furthermore, regarding the missing Continue Watching option under the What to Watch category, we would be happy to coordinate with the appropriate team to include your device in the investigation.

In order to narrow down the cause of the issue, we would appreciate it if you could share with us your device details such as follows:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and current software version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Warm regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.