Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Charitysmama
Streaming Star

Re: Unwanted Channels being added without permission

Someone suggested that I don't have any screen savers, just the "blank" home page and I've done that an it seems to have stopped the problem of downloading unwanted apps.

0 Kudos
Charitysmama
Streaming Star

Someone suggested that I don't have any screen savers, just the "blank" home page and I've done that an it seems to have stopped the problem of downloading unwanted apps.

0 Kudos
leefi1
Binge Watcher

This is completely untrue. Every day when I pause a video, I come back to F-ing Pluto being added. I have to remove it and search for the program that I was previously watching. I trained myself to not use pause to un-pause a show, because that guarantees a new channel -whichever they were advertising- to be added automatically. That worked for a while, but now that no longer stops Roku. 

I pay for commercial free streaming on every channel that I subscribe to for a reason. For Roku to keep adding Pluto because it's "free" when it is NOT free. I will NOT watch commercials. They are brainless, loud, disruptive and annoying in the extreme. There is no content that I will ever watch that requires me to watch commercials.

Worse than that, Roku as a company is blatantly disinterested in its customers. They cannot be reached for comment at all, just this impotent BS. I will now tell everyone I know to avoid Roku like the plague it is becoming. I own 6 effing Roku devices, but that will not stop me from adopting another platform in the future unless this stops!

0 Kudos
leefi1
Binge Watcher

This is flatly UNTRUE. If I pause a post on YouTube Premium (for example) Roku will have added a so called "Free Channel" when I come back and press enter. I learned to not pause and un-pause using the pause button, because Roku will automatically add whatever channel they are advertising. No matter what I try, I can't stop Roku's intrusion. Everyday Roku is adding Pluto, a so called free channel. If I have to watch commercials it IS NOT FREE, they are making me pay with my time and attention. 

I only subscribe to ad free content, I pay for that privilege. Roku is apparently pissed about that. I have tried numerous "Free" channels, I usually immediately discard them because of the stack of commercials that precede free content. I pay for six channels, they contain more content than I can EVER see if I live forever. Roku is making me regret owning six of their products! 

0 Kudos
leefi1
Binge Watcher

This is a worthless answer. Roku is doing this. NO ONE has ever had access to any of our devices, we do not ever share account numbers. No one has ever watched television in our home but us for decades. It is not the way we entertain our very rare guests. I pause a show, and come back to find my paused show gone, and a new channel added. This is ridiculous. Clearly Roku does not care about people who own their products and we own 6!  Effing useless Pluto is the current Roku favorite to add. No matter how fast that I delete it, it returns.

If I could find a screen without ads to use for the home screen I WOULD PAY ROKU TO ACCESS IT!

0 Kudos
leefi1
Binge Watcher

Yes, I get the same answers, it is something that "we" are doing. There is a reason that Roku does not want to interact with clients. They ARE the problem!

0 Kudos
leefi1
Binge Watcher

WE are not all stupid. I check for updates frequently, and restart the system regularly. STILL Roku adds stations exactly as described by EVERY ONE OF US! We are not involved. No matter how often Roku explains that this can't happen and someone must have access to our devices, it still is happening. ROKU controls my devices. I use their products and they use us. 

0 Kudos
leefi1
Binge Watcher

Re: Re:Unwanted Channels being added without permission

WHERE is that no advertising screen, I have tried them all. Every Roku home screen has the ad box to the right. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

@leefi1I see you've been complaining about this for nearly a year, but I don't see if you've said you've tried a screen saver without ads.  I switched to one of the Roku clock screen savers when this happened to me about 4 years ago and it hasn't happened again since.

0 Kudos
Charitysmama
Streaming Star

I have solved the problem by not having any screen savers, etc.   I went in to "Settings", then "Home screen" and checked "hide".  That solved the problem, and I have not had any automatic downloads since.

0 Kudos