Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scottkbrown
Channel Surfer

Re: Unwanted Channels being added without permission

It's like a tennis match with them every time you serve up a question or problem they lob it back telling you you have done something wrong and you're back to square one

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@yahet, do you recognize the email address that shows under Settings->System->About?  If you log into your account at https://my.roku.com using that email address and scroll down to "Linked devices" do you recognize all of them?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

I have one device, it has the  correct email address on the account.  I only want one app installed on the device however, every time it goes into screen saver mode and I return to watch something.  There are two or three apps added causing an issue with my player.  I have to remove them restart the device before I can launch the app I want to use. 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@fjturner1968

Thanks for the post.

If you are experiencing an issue with a channel and are getting a message stating that the channel is unable to load from the network, we believe this issue is resolved on this thread: https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Error-Can-t-run-channel-Prime-Sling-amp-bunch...

In order to apply the latest fix please follow the instructions below to manually check for a software update.

1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll up or down and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select System update.
  5. Select Check Now to manually check for updates.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
renojim

@fjturner1968, if you're using one of the Roku screensavers that has little advertisements for other channels floating by, switch to a different one.  NEVER use the Play/Pause button to dismiss the screensaver.

cjhorh

I always give unwanted channels a 1 star rating for offensive content before removing them. Perhaps if more people did this the channel providers would stop paying Roku to promote them this way.

ameijer
Reel Rookie

Re:Unwanted Channels being added without permission

I agree. We have very few channels on our Roku. Frequently, if the screensaver is on for a period of time and I wake it up, there is box showing that a channel is being added. I am not adding channels and neither is anyone else in my family.

renojim

Re: Re:Unwanted Channels being added without permission

@ameijer, change to a screensaver that doesn't advertise channels and/or NEVER use the Play/Pause or OK buttons on your remote to dismiss the screensaver.

Charitysmama
Streaming Star

Re: Re:Unwanted Channels being added without permission

Yes, I found out that a blank home screen stopped the unwanted "abuse", LOL, of stupid channels that I would never sign up for.

0 Kudos
Charitysmama
Streaming Star

Well, I don't agree with u.  If I put a program on hold to say go to the bathroom, and come back finding out that the "hold" didn't work and ROKU is now downloading a totally different app (usually one u have to pay for) which has videos that I am not interested in, then I do think it is within this topic.