Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
o2night
Streaming Star

Re: Unwanted Channels being added without permission

Maybe you have some special or out of the ordinary Roku, buy I have sat in front of my television and clearly watched channels being added without my permission or request!!!  This is **bleep** and I will also go back to using a regular tv and my Firestick if it doesn't stop.  I am not going to be liable for anything added to my account without my permission!  I will be taking snapshots of this conversation for future references in case you (Roku) charge me for anything.  You are not and will never be authorized to charge me money.  I don't watch television enough to pay for it.  That's why I scrapped cable!  You are hereby notified that I am telling you to stop spamming me with your channels without my permission and other trickery to get money or information from me!

Strega
Roku Guru

If you don’t pay for anything, then you can remove your payment method from your account.  (If you even added one in the first place.)  I don't think it matters to Roku as they probably make as much from commercial TV as from from pay TV.

o2night
Streaming Star

Thanks for that information!  I was not aware it could be removed (and yes, there was one).  Most places that require payment info to sign up, won't allow you to delete it.
  I've been hit with so many data breaches in the past 2 years that I don't want even an email address anymore!  lol  (wish I could function in the real world without one, but that is literally impossible today).

Again, thank you for responding and passing along valuable information.

rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Obviously it doesn't matter to Roku. They hyped the service dishonestly, if only by implication, and their disregard for their customers is astonishing.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@o2night, while you're at it add a PIN to your account at https://my.roku.com so channels can't be added without entering the PIN.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Scubanate

Yes it does! I have removed there stupid Roku channel over and over agian. Also if you pause for very long they will move you to there Roku channel. I will never watch anything on the Roku channel because of that.

Scubanate

You are absolutely right! I am getting really sick of it also.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @Scubanate,

Welcome to the Roku Community. 

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding unwanted channels being added to your Roku without your permission. How many devices are linked to your Roku account? Note that when you add an app to your Roku device, you’re actually adding it to your Roku account. As a result, the app will automatically be added to all Roku devices linked to your Roku account.

If you still do not recognize who added the channel, as suggested by @renojim, you may want to consider adding a PIN to your Roku account. This can help prevent channels from being added without your knowledge, and you can share the PIN only with those whom you authorize.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Wishspell
Reel Rookie

In the past couple of days I noticed that I'm getting strange changes to my channels. I love your reference to prune juice, it makes total sense. All of a sudden on my screen I see a great big picture of John Wayne. No I am not interested in seeing John Wayne and about 90% of the Westerns that showed up on the screen. I was very happy with what I had before.

I went through my settings and managed to hide a lot of the pages I did not want on my screen but the ones that I liked and wanted there were removed. The homepage is easy enough to get rid of the squares. But when you move to live tv, feature free, etc and all of those are changed, that is a lot I have to figure out.

BTW, I am a Trekkie, sci fi, horror, vampire, etc well; you get the idea. Try picturing John Wayne in the captain's chair on the Enterprise saying, more power Scotty. One other thing to note, all of my movies have to make sense. I'm not interested in a lot of bells and whistles and you don't know if it's starting or ending. I had everything set up just nice for myself and the Roku kicked out and went back on, and everything changed. This little lady is going to fight back.

0 Kudos