Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bangsli

The Roku Channel: LOUD Volume on Commercials

Does anyone at Roku even read these posts? And if they do, do they care? Seems this has been an issue for a very long time. Netflix recently lost millions of subscribers. If these folks are now subscribing to Roku, it won't be for very long once they discover how utterly disturbing the EXTREMELY LOUD commercials are. I watch Roku when it's time to relax, but it's impossible to be relaxed when you are either jumping out of your skin from being startled by the blaring commercials, or being on edge hoping that you manage to catch the commercials in time to be able to mute the TV so you don't wake everyone up. 

10 REPLIES 10
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: The Roku Channel: LOUD Volume on Commercials

Hi @Bangsli

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community. 

Switch to Automatic Volume Leveling, if your device is supported with this feature, to hear more consistent audio levels across various types of entertainment, making it less jarring when a commercial comes on or while switching channels. To do this, follow the instructions below:

• Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
  • Scroll up or down and select Settings.
  • Select Audio.
  • Select Volume modes.
  • Leveling: Enables consistent volume across different types of entertainment so you do not have to change the volume every time you switch channels or a commercial comes on.

If you have a Roku TV, you may be able to adjust manufacturer-specific sound modes from the same options menu described above. 

For more information, this support article may help: How do I use volume modes on my Roku® streaming device?

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Emmershep

Hi Nimfa,

I am also having this issue where the commercials on the Roku Channel are insanely loud. So loud I am jumping for the mute button as soon as the commercials come on! It is so loud that it wakes my husband up and startles our cat every time. I have a TLC tv that came with Roku making it a smart tv. Recently we started watching some of the shows on the Roku Channel app. I have tried your instructions but my settings doesn’t have a ‘leveling’ option. I don’t know what to do! Help!

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Emmershep,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear that you've been having this trouble with a commercial that is too loud when playing content on The Roku Channel.

We would like to know how to identify and resolve any playback issues. A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

• Does the issue only occur on The Roku Channel or all channels on your Roku device?
  • Does this happen on all movies/shows on The Roku Channel or just specific titles?
  • Please cite specific content title examples that you have tried to play on The Roku Channel that is experiencing an issue

Once we have this information we will be able to help investigate this further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
ctw1949
Channel Surfer

I also have an issue with the volume on commercials. This happens ONLY on ROKU station. The worst are the LEXUS, WALMART and some of the medication commercials. As a result, I will NOT shop at Walmart anymore! I will never buy a LEXUS. Thank the gods that I don't need any of the medication that is touted with high volume. So, I am going to complain to corporate Walmart and tell them that the reason I won't shop at their stores anymore is b/c of the volume on your station! What do you think they will do? Maybe remove their advertising from your station? FIX THIS ISSUE!!! You have sold your TVs and it seems you don't care that many of your customers have spent a lot of money on your brand of TV and now they have to suffer! Yes, I am very mad about this as are many others! FIX THIS!!!

ctw1949
Channel Surfer

I just posted a reply to this post. However, I neglected to address the issues that you posted. This happens ONLY ON ROKU CHANNEL. The program I have been watching are THE MENTALIST on ROKU CHANNEL. I have no leveling option on my TV. Also found this on BONES as well. I watch other channels and have not had this problem. You need to FIX THIS! I'm not the only one who has complaints about volume. Seems the program volume (on the MENTALIST) is so low that I have to boost the volume up to 35 to hear dialogue on the program. Then the commercials come on and I jump out of my skin. FIX THIS!!!

0 Kudos
Markmagg
Reel Rookie

This is absolutely ridiculous you know you have a problem it's beyond the scope of the leveling programs build into the Roku does nothing to level on your channel the Roku channel I don't have this problem on Netflix Hulu or anybody else you play the volume on the shows way too low and then the commercials come on and blow out stupid nobody watches your  commercials we have to mute just as soon as they come on so I don't know what you were trying to prove so we'll watch your stupid commercials no we are not watching your stupid commercials we're not listening to your commercials somebody wake up and fix this problem

RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @Markmagg,

Thank you for reaching out to the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear about your issue with the too-loud commercial. We're happy to help. 

Movies and television shows can have a wide range of sounds, but using the volume modes on your compatible Roku streaming device lets you enjoy a more even listening experience. Switch to Automatic Volume Leveling to hear more consistent audio levels across various types of entertainment, making it less jarring when a commercial comes on or while switching channels. Use Night Mode to reduce the volume level for louder scenes and boost it for quieter ones, letting you watch late-night TV without disturbing others. Press Star * on your Roku remote Select Sound settings. Use the directional pad to switch the Volume mode to the desired setting. 

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
dereck72

same here no "leveling" option

dereck72

what if you have no "leveling" option in audio settings