Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mop_891
Roku Guru

Re: Cannot access TCM - format changed - will not allow me to sign in. Anyone else?

Jump to solution

Here's what works with TCM:

TCM ver. 1.0.57 (eve5214) on a ROKU premiere model 3902x version 9.4.0 build 4200-91

Here's what does not work with TCM

TCM ver. 1.0.81 (9503502) on a ROKU Ultra  Lt Model 466rw ver 10.0.0 biuld 4209-46

0 Kudos
grant5
Channel Surfer

Re: Cannot access TCM - format changed - will not allow me to sign in. Anyone else?

Jump to solution

OK - so my ROKU express is a no go?  Also, is there a way to reset and install the specific ROKU and  TCM versions?  Really appreciate your help - trying to determine my options to get the app back up and working...

0 Kudos
grant5
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Correct - they apparently they changed the logo - new branding!

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@grant5 @mop_891 

I've downloaded the Watch TCM app to my Roku device. It launched. I navigated to the Settings section of the menu, and scrolled down and selected Sign In. It presented me with instructions and a code. As I don't subscribe to a TV provider, I went no further. But, from a clean install, the Watch TCM app launched and displayed the screen that is crashing out for you.

Okay, now I'm seeing an issue.

While attempting to relaunch the app and see what TV providers may be acceptable (Spectrum was listed by @grant5 ) I encountered an issue. The app displays the Watch TCM splash screen, but after 7 seconds goes to a black screen, and remains there. I HOMEd out after two minutes, so I don't know how long that hangs there.

A remove, reboot, reinstall gets the app running again. Settings > Sign In gets me the Activate screen, with the code and everything. Going to the Website (all tcm cookies removed first, of course, to prevent issues) shows that Spectrum is an approved provider, as well as streaming services Hulu+Live TV (listed simply as Hulu), YouTube TV, and DirecTV Stream. Even though TCM is part of the Sling Blue package, Sling TV isn't an approved provider for authentication.

After backing out of the screen, rather than HOME button as previous, the app crashes. Relaunching returns to the 7-second splash screen then black. A restart of the Roku doesn't help. Only remove, reboot, reinstall returns the app to functionality of sorts.

Testing this seems to indicate that as long as I don't go to Settings > Sign In, the app will continue to launch. Although, without being signed in, nothing works, the app doesn't crash. Exiting Sign In/Activate screen without activating (I don't have an accepted provider) causes the app to crash, and on relaunch, hang up after 7 seconds of splash screen.

Understand, @grant5 and @mop_891 , that those last few paragraphs may not be of any benefit to you, but others, particularly the Community Experts and Roku moderators ( @RokuDanny-R or @RokuKariza-D ), may be able to use this as part of their research and troubleshooting.

My conclusion is that the app, Watch TCM version 1.0 build 81, is the issue. Perhaps the other Community Experts or Roku moderators may be able to get additional informaiton and help run this down.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

mop_891
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Got ya. What you are seeing is pretty much the same as I am. The app is broke and needs to be fixed. Thanks.

0 Kudos
grant5
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Wow - thanks for all your help - and time.  I sent an email to the TCM Tech folks, and if they provide any info or solve the  issue I will post.  Until then, just back to the TV for now.  Take care!

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@DBDukes wrote:

My conclusion is that the app, Watch TCM version 1.0 build 81, is the issue. Perhaps the other Community Experts or Roku moderators may be able to get additional informaiton and help run this down.

I concur.  This is one of my most viewed channels.  It was in dire need of an update as the fast forward and rewinding performance had gotten very slow recently and it badly needed a way to resume a partially viewed program when leaving the app and returning. 

But I prefer a version that actually works -- version 1.0 build 81 doesn't.  Tested on Roku 3600 and 3810.

When first loaded for me it just showed a jazzed-up splash screen while loading then started to build the user interface but immediately exited back to the Roku home screen.

Remove/Restart/Reinstall allowed it to complete the user interface but was not yet logged in.  After agreeing to the terms and attempting to log in, the login failed and I was dumped back to the Roku home screen again.

On subsequent attempts after the initial login failure it just bounces back to the Roku home screen before completing the user interface display like it did the first time.

I reported the problem (Highlight Watch TCM icon in channel grid / Press * on  remote / Give us feedback / Could not log in or authenticate).  I urge others to do the same.

So now we just have to sit back and wait for TCM to fix their app and issue an update.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
makaiguy

Jump to solution

Meanwhile, I was able to install the new Android Watch TCM version to my tablet.  Itworked properly and successfully logged into my tv provider account.  I am able to mirror the screen to my Roku via the Android Screen Cast capability.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
daveyj
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Danny,  I have a ROKU Express, about 3 yrs old, and it has a recurring problem with "Watch TCM."  It seems that whenever Watch TCM performs some kind of upgrade, this streaming channel stops working on ROKU.  I can tell that Watch TCM did some upgrades on 9/1/21, and am pretty sure this is the cause of my current problem.   The Watch TCM app fails to open, and just kicks me back out to the icon for Watch TCM on the Roku homepage.  I've used fixes provided by this chat group previously, but would appreciate some refresher instructions if possible.  

0 Kudos
AK2021

Watch TCM won't work on my Roku stick after 9/1/21 app update

Jump to solution

The channel logo for Watch TCM changed on 9/1/21.  Now when it launches, it immediately quits and returns me to the home screen.  I deleted the channel, re-installed it, and it will launch, but as soon as I try to play a movie, the app quits again and returns me to the home screen.

I tried re-starting the Roku, it didn't make any difference.  Interestingly, the app on my iPhone still functions fine, so I was able to Airplay to my TV.  But this is annoying.  All was fine until yesterday.

0 Kudos