Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Croon
Reel Rookie

Hulu dropped audio glitch every 20-30 seconds

I’ve been having an audio problem with Hulu on my Roku Ultra for the past week or more. The audio drops for half of a second every 20-30 seconds. Sometimes there is a glitch-type stuttering sound as well, and it lasts for a second or less. The problem is that that it happens so frequently that it’s hard to ignore and makes watching anything on Hulu a chore.

I know it’s a Roku problem because I’ve played the same episode of the same show from my laptop (HDMI out directly into my TV) with no audio issues. I’ve also watched the beginning of the same movie (Father of the Bride II) on 2 different apps, Hulu and Disney+, with only Hulu presenting the audio stutters and drops. I’ve tried swapping out the HDMI cable with no success. I’ve tried bumping the audio down to stereo for everything without success. I’ve also tried turning off audio leveling with no success. It’s aggravating and I hope that Roku can do something to fix it. Thanks.

Technical information:

I plug the HDMI directly into my TV from the Roku Ultra. I have a Sony XBR-55X900E TV.

My device is 4670X Roku Ultra

Software version 11.5 build 4312-46

Serial number YJ0023924902

Device ID KW99C2924902

Hulu Version 6.65 build 2

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Hulu dropped audio glitch every 20-30 seconds

@Croon

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. 

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Croon
Reel Rookie

I did everything you wrote in your instructions and the problem still persists. I tried out multiple channel apps this weekend and found that the audio issue is not restricted to only Hulu, it shows up with HBO Max, Watch TCM, and Peacock. Frequent and brief audio cutting out, sometimes with a tiny crack or pop.

Good news is that there are no sound issues with Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Disney+. So perhaps it's not a systemic issue with my Roku Ultra? I'm getting a bit flustered looking for a solution to a problem that only showed up roughly a week ago. These are channels that I watch frequently, and this is the time of year that I watch TV more frequently, so for multiple apps to have a disruptive glitch is unacceptable. Please advise.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @Croon

We appreciate your post.

If removing the channel and adding it back after you've restarted the device does not resolve the channel issue, I'd recommend reaching out to channel support directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on that channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.

You can reach Hulu support here: Hulu support 

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos

I have exactly this problem. It's a bug between Roku and Hulu.

I solved this by buying the Google Chromecast Ultra and using it as the remote control for all Hulu shows. (I also use the Ultra for all Apple TV+ shows because there's an even worse bug between Roku and Apple TV+.)

I much prefer the Roku interface, and it's a pain to have two remotes, but the Roku bugs make Hulu and Apple TV+ shows unwatchable. At least with the Google Ultra, I can enjoy the shows.

RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @ThreeRedRocks

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? Do you encounter any error messages? Are all the other streaming channels operating normally? How long has the issue existed and what troubleshooting done to resolve the issue?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you better.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos

Hi Lianna,

As I mentioned in my first message, I am having exactly the error that Croon, the original poster, described: "Hulu dropped audio glitch every 20-30 seconds."

Roku's advice to Croon was to contact Hulu support. That could be a long, laborious process. I posted to share an alternative: buy a second remote, from Google, in order to avoid the bug.

I don't need any assistance myself, because I've already bought the Google remote.

It would be nice for Roku, Hulu, Apple TV+, and several other channels were to get together to figure out these bugs, but I don't have the time or energy to wait for that.

Thanks for your quick response!

0 Kudos