Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Christeen420
Binge Watcher

Re: Streaming channels no longer showing channel number

As long as there are no numbers on Roku streaming I will not be watching and will be sticking with my free over the air antenna. Such a stupid, dumb update. On what planet is it easier to scroll through logos than to go to a definite page number? Did anyone ever really think this out or was this somebody who was just too lazy to program numbers in to the app?

joeking23
Channel Surfer

BAD IDEA TO REMOVE CHANNEL NUMBERS!!!!

Bozzz
Reel Rookie

I had a Visio TV and they have done just what you (Roku) have done. NO CHANNEL listing. So, I got rid of that TV because of no channel numbers. I will be getting rid of my Roku if the channels do not reappear. I am sure the channel numbers will not reappear. Too bad

RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello Community Users!

Thanks for the post,

We appreciate your feedback. We will share it with the team and welcome any additional feedback.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
GGRocks
Channel Surfer

Glad that our feedback is being shared with whom it needs to be.  Unfortunately, that is all we are being told.  How long will it take for Roku to realize this was not the best idea to implement?

Docsman
Binge Watcher

I suspect they are not going to restore the channel numbers despite our protests. I would like to be wrong, but typically these kinds of decisions are made from a "we know better than the great unwashed" viewpoint which doesn't lend itself to being reversed. Also, the other streaming channel sites do not have channel numbers which may well be why they decided to remove them in the first place.

What is different, though, on the other streaming sites like Pluto and Xumo are more clearly defined grids that are easier to navigate and see what's there. Roku's grid without channel numbers is really hard to deal with the way it's currently laid out and I expect they'll be making changes to get closer in look and feel to the others beyond removing channel numbers. Maybe I'm giving Roku too much credit.

Ultimately, the way to deal with this large set of channels is to create favorites and it's especially important to do that when you cannot go directly to the channel of your choice. Having an easy to navigate grid, a consistent grid, really helps in doing that.

You would think with all the computing power and talk of AI, the UI would not be limited to scrolling simply up or down whether it's the complete list of channels or a subset like favorites. With a little bit of voice recognition, I should be able to tell the system to go to Universal Action or Buzzr or Sky News, and with a little more voice recognition, I should be able to create my own names for my favorites and tell the system to go to what I call them. Nice to dream.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Actually, it seems like the channel numbers are actually still in the Guide.  They are just being hidden under a transparency layer in the UI.

Was wondering why I could still navigate using numbers using an older app/extension on my laptop connected to my Roku devices. (then I saw another posting where user was able to use the Roku Mobile app keyboard feature to do same thing).

A few times this week my RokuTV was showing as Not Connected when turned on and I noticed the channel numbers were showing for the Streaming Channels on Roku Live TV.  They remained visible each time until I backed out to Home Screen. (Each time this would cause the channel numbers to then disappear.)

As such, looks like you can still use the Roku Mobile app to navigate using numbers if you wish. (at least until Roku disables this as well).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

mackjm0808

I don't care for the lack of channel numbers as well as they moved all the channels around and difficult to find the channels you want.  Your favorite channels never stick, you go into favorites look at something and then it reverts to the full line of channels.  Not a good idea either.

Gabriel321
Reel Rookie

I agree! Roku just insulted us his customers; by removing the streaming channels numbers. It wasn’t enough that their ridiculous remotes don’t have numbers NOW THE ACTUAL CHANNEL NUMBERS ARE MISSING!!! Wtf??

Please bring them back and PROGRAM a POP UP SQUARE WITH NUMBERS IN IT TO APPEAR ON THE TV so e can quickly type the channel number we want to go!!!
How hard if that?? Not at all!  

and As we don’t want to buy a voice remote that will data mine our voices that’s Abusive and intrusive of our privacy!!  

Dpadre
Channel Surfer

**bleep** right. 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.