Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lalalulu2
Channel Surfer

Re: Stop playing spanish commercials in usa!

All apps play random Spanish language ads. It must be the advertising agency you use. Ask them to stop. 

denhow
Roku Guru

There's a demographic reality that some people are overlooking. Of all the countries in the world, the United States has the second largest population of Spanish speakers. Only Mexico has more Spanish speakers than the U.S.

What you're complaining about is just free-market capitalism. There's a large identifiable population out there and companies want to sell products to them.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users!

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you sharing with us your experience with commercials and ads. We understand your concerns, and we take this seriously. While we can't please everyone with the ads, we strive to avoid offensive images and other things that Roku users might disagree with. We'll make sure to forward your comments and feedback to the appropriate Roku team for review and evaluation.

Thanks,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BK2NC
Reel Rookie

I disagree. The title of your post makes it a point to say, "...in the usa!" Specificity and emphasis. This seems to imply that Americans (more accurately, United Statesians) don't speak Spanish; however, Spanish is the 2nd most widely spoken language in North America and specifically for the U.S.A. If advertisers know this, it makes sense that they would cast the net wide. It's fine to be annoyed by it. It's not fine to be xenophobic. Do better. 

0 Kudos
Dan52669
Channel Surfer

Then go to a country where it is the first language if that is what you want. English is the standard in America. 

Lalalulu2
Channel Surfer

78%of America is non Spanish speaking.  

Strega2
Roku Guru

I would assume (hope?), that Roku can target ads somewhat less bluntly than “an entire country”.  As such, due to your choice(s) of past and current programming, your location etc. some customer(s) may feel that the percentage of Spanish viewers is high enough to pay to run ads targeted at them.    

Of course, Roku’s ad targeting could be busted too and just doing stuff randomly.  😁

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Lalalulu2
Channel Surfer

You are so right. It’s not being hateful but 73%of Americans speak English so please stop Spanish ads. 

Lalalulu2
Channel Surfer

I agree about targeting the right audience. Amazon Alexa is doing it too. I speak some Spanish but it must be frustrating for people who don’t. 

dj24

Why has no one answered this question? I selected English as my language and yet you still show commercials in Spanish. Please fix this issue. All channels do this.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.