Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JPG-FL

Re: Fixed: Something Went Wrong message HBO Max

I believe that Discovery/Max are using this mechanism to defeat shared accounts, possibly comparing source Cable Company subscription location to IP address location.  This would force a new authentication via the "correct" cable system or a regular paid subscription login.

Clay1963

Re: Something Went Wrong message HBO Max

Log out and then login via provider is what worked for me.

0 Kudos
Kapuku
Channel Surfer

Well, I've tried all of the suggestions here. Uninstalled, logged out, changed display type, system reset. Nothing works. I don't subscribe via a provider, subscribe directly thru HBO,.so can't try that solution. It has now been 5 days of errors for every show. Why am I paying for this service that doesn't work???

0 Kudos
Liaiam514
Reel Rookie

You're going to have to call HBO and report the problem directly to them, that's what I did. They'll try and troubleshoot... and they never asked for that ridiculously long error code that kept changing. 

0 Kudos
Kapuku
Channel Surfer

Was the problem fixed? I chatted with HBO and they said they were aware of the issue. That was 2 days ago and no change.

0 Kudos
BDJIM

Any fixes or replies from HBO? I'm having the same issue and have tried everything!

0 Kudos
Kapuku
Channel Surfer

Just had a chat session with HBO. And they fixed the problem! It turns out what worked was signing out from the app and then signing back in again with my cable provider. Previously I had been signing in with my username and password. For whatever reason signing in with my cable provider did the trick.

0 Kudos
Davefr
Reel Rookie

Based on the suggestion by JPG-FL that Max might be comparing the cable company’s subscription location to the IP address location, I might have stumbled upon a fix for the something went wrong message. So far, Max (Version 55.3, Build 1) has been working correctly for four days.🤞

I live in San Diego where my cable company is located and I always use a VPN. The nearest VPN server is in Los Angeles where, apparently, Max thought I was located. The Roku system settings menu includes the option to enter your ZIP Code. The menu says that entering a ZIP Code may improve TV programming information. I wondered if entering a ZIP Code might override the IP address location.

So I uninstalled Max, cleared the cache and restarted the system. I then entered a San Diego ZIP Code in Roku settings and reinstalled Max. Finally, I opened max.com/account and went to the “Devices“ submenu. I deleted all old device versions, leaving only the latest version of each device. I’m not sure this last step was necessary but since Max apparently started working correctly, I didn’t want to mess with success. ☺️

Hope this helps.

Dave

0 Kudos
Davefr
Reel Rookie

Oops, I forgot to add that after reinstalling Max, I connected with my cable company provider again.

Dave

0 Kudos

So far, there has been no permanent fix to this issue. I've done everything everyone here has said - signed out/signed in, uninstalled/reinstalled the app, changed the output settings, checked for updates, etc., etc., etc.. Signing out and in appears to be the only thing that works but it's temporary, lasting only a few days or so before the error message pops back up. And this is only happening on Roku platforms.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.