Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bstevens99

Re: Fixed: Something Went Wrong message HBO Max

Thank you! This was my issue and I hadn't been able to watch Max since the transition. My Roku was set on Automatic (1080p HDR10). When I changed it to 1080p TV, all the errors and problems went away.

0 Kudos
Cartymac

I tried all the recommendations changed the HD. Logged out of app still getting the error message. Any other recommendations?

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Cartymac,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having a problem with the Max channel. We will be glad to help you. Could you send us a photo or video of your running issue with the error message or code that you're seeing? Did you try to update the channel by going to your Roku's home screen, scrolling to the channel you want to update, pressing the star button on your Roku remote in the pop-up that opens, and selecting Check for updates?

Please let us know how it works.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Msugarpunk
Reel Rookie

IMG_4137.jpeg

Here is what I got on mine 

The code at the bottom there changes every time I try again 

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Msugarpunk, I hope you realize that the "us" in that message is HBO/Max, not Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
SandyF
Reel Rookie

Tried everything. From speed check, to soft, hard and factory resets, with modem reboots, cache emptying, trash and re-download in between. App opens just fine. Whan I select my show, I get the "Something Went Wrong" screen, with a different code for every show

SandyF
Reel Rookie

Any answers yet? MAX works just fine on Spectrum ON DEMAND, and on my wife's iPad, but not on either of my ROKU devices. It worked on one of them for awhile, but then, every time we would try to pause a show, it would rewind to near the beginning of the show, and we would have to fast-forward all the way to where we had paused it. So, we uninstalled the MAX channel, and when we re-installed it, now it won't let us watch anything at all. We pick our show, hit play, and get the SOMETHING WENT WRONG screen. We paid good money for our ROKU devices, and I think ROKU should provide us with solutions to our problems.

0 Kudos
Msugarpunk
Reel Rookie

Ok - mine works. Here is what you can try. 

1) unplug and plug back in your HDMI cable

2) check to see if that fixed it

3) uninstall the app. Reinstall and sign in. Repeat step 1.

4) in settings on Roku, select your video output. Look at changing auto to a lower setting. Pay attention to what the screen says in terms of compatibility as you switch between inputs while your Roku reads your HDMI cable and the video output.

that’s what I had to do. Actually all the above. It wasn’t so bad, but ultimately it seems like HBO changed something about their output and it seems the quality is too high. 

unless you’re running it through a new 4K screen….

if that’s the case than - it might be the uninstall reinstall. 

let me know if that works! 

0 Kudos
Liaiam514
Reel Rookie

Re: Something Went Wrong message HBO Max

I had to logout of the app and sign back in using, "sign in by provider" (something like that). When I did that (using the QR Code), I selected my provider, Xfinity, and then it took me to a page which said that I wasn't the primary subscriber and to log out and sign back in with as the primary subscriber. My husband used his sign in info and it worked. 

0 Kudos

Re: Something Went Wrong message HBO Max

I have MAX through xfinity and I tried all of the options including switching HDMI ports and the only thing that worked for me was to also use the login via provider and QR.

I was also prompted to change my xfinity password so my guess is authentication was being blocked because of a pending password change through xfinity.