Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Fixed: Something Went Wrong message HBO Max

Hi @kirkcampbell429,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear about the playback issue with the channel. Have you tried following the troubleshooting steps on our support page to see if it helps resolve the issue? How to resolve a channel playback issue

If you are still unable to play videos from one channel after attempting the suggestions on the link, videos from other channels play fine. Contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developers themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from the channel developer.

For MAX Support, please check this out: MAX Support

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
yesmcat
Reel Rookie

Re: Something Went Wrong message HBO Max

I am having this exact issue! But I don't know how to fix it. I see a suggestion here to do something having to do with playback (4 vs hd etc), but I don't see a place to change that. Any suggestions would be most helpful!

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @yesmcat,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!
We understand you're having a problem with the Max channel. We're happy to assist you further. Please try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press Star to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  • Restart your Roku device: Press home on your Roku remote, select settings, select system, power, and system restart.
  • Re-install the channel: Scroll down to search, put the name of the channel or app, highlight the channel, and select add channel.

If the problem still continues, please keep us posted.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jazzcat_v1

@RokuJohnB , your suggestion did not work for me.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jazzcat_v1,

Welcome to the Roku Community, and thanks for updating us!

We appreciate the effort that you put into troubleshooting the issue. We'd like to investigate further; may we know if this is happening on one channel? If yes, we suggest contacting the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developers themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CLN-123

For everyone who is having this problem: are you getting your HBO Max through Comcast/Xfinity?

I started having this  "something went wrong" problem on all 3 of my Rokus (of various ages). Removing the Max app and reinstalling it would give me back Max for a day or two, but it kept recurring. So frustrating.

Independent of this issue, I had tried logging onto my Xfinity email account through a browser on my work computer, and Xfinity told me I had to change my password, because their routine security procedure says everyone needs to change their password periodically.   I said to myself "Nope, not doing that now," and exited out of that browser. I continued to access my Xfinity email through my phone, tablet, and email program on my personal computer, using my EXISTING password.  

But someone else on this thread mentioned Xfinity pending password change as a possible issue and it stuck with me.  I finally gritted my teeth and changed my Xfinity password.  TA DA!!!  The Max issue went away immediately.

So if you are getting Max through Xfinity, try logging onto your Xfinity account through a browser and see if it is saying you "need" to change your password.  It seems that although you don't necessarily "need" to change it periodically to access your email, apparently you DO need to change it to keep accessing Max easily.

My conclusion: for me it wasn't exactly a Max problem or a Roku problem, it was actually an XFINITY problem.  They sure didn't make it easy to figure that out though.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.