Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kidkrash
Streaming Star

Re: SiriusXM shuts off after 20 minutes

Jump to solution

@HAL9000_Y2K_VER 

Excellent work putting this all together. If SiriusXM/Roku were half as diligent the issue would be resolved by now or may not have ever made it to production.

In the meantime my ONN device is working great without issue in my home office. 

Keep fighting the good fight.

~kidkrash

Jimmbbo
Binge Watcher

Re: SiriusXM app crashing on Roku Express after recent update

Jump to solution

this is never going to be fixed, just everyone go on social media and alert EVERYONE THAT XM DOES NOT WORK ON ROKU, again, this is a simple fix, the update ruined everything, you have to wonder if the right people even know about this problem, i give up, I'm going to ONN

Jimmbbo
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

YOU REALIZE THAT THERE ARE NO ERROR MESSAGES, IT JUST SHUTS OFF AFTER 20 MINUTES

Jump to solution

I do have been having this problem since mid-May it is very frustrating as I pay for a subscription to Sirius XM and can only hear it at 20 minutes chunks on a Roku works fine on my Moto phone.

Why is it so hard from someone at Roku to read this and address the situation other than saying give us this give us this give us this oh and that!

HAL9000_Y2K_VER
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Replying to myself on

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/SiriusXM-shuts-off-after-20-minutes/td-p/7947...

XM crashed sometime after 3 hours.  I didn't babysit it all day.  Below is tracker data. Sirius crash June 23 crop.jpg

Timestamp of 18.52 is when I captured the above.  It crashed sometime between 15.30 and 16.52 CST but app screen was locked up as described in previous post after running for 2 hours.  SiriusXM is ver 2.5 Buid 34.

The cause of this behavior may be unrelated to the 20 minute timeout.  However, this condition could be quite common because most users are probably not noticing this feature if they stay on the same channel for hours and it happens to crash.  Most users are probably not as suspicious of XM's testing methodology as the contributors to these posts so most users are not "looking for bugs".  This feature may be easier to reproduce than the Wifi contention that is more likely a major contributor to the 20 minute timeout feature.  The screen lockup was occurring around 19 minutes when crash time was 20 minutes so there is some nexus between the two unexpected behaviors. 

Sling also exited to Roku in this time-frame but Sling exits without screen lockups. 

I assume that the data within the tracker can identify why and when the app exited and some limited data dump of memory.  If Sling had the problems exhibited by XM, you wouldn't be able to watch a movie.  I have rarely or ever had Sling crash during a 3-4 hour movie.  The 3930 used to  problems staying connected which I assumed was due to overheating.  Unplugging it for 5 minutes and it would cool off and resume normal function.  This signal loss behavior must have been fixed by Roku since the issue is gone.

This timeout workaround for me is better than nothing.  However, not everyone will be able to use the fix if they have more devices than channels available. 

The testing results may be more useful to individuals that fully understand the Roku architecture, communication protocols, API specifications and production BrightScript Crash logs by providing more detailed configuration requirements for bug replication.  

Roku has 50M accounts and Sirius has 34M.  The intersection of XM streamers on Roku <= 34M.  Roku and XM would know all the stats a marketer can imagine.  Knowing the detail and crashes per device per channel partner is critical since Roku derives income from their partner.  This issue should be more important to SiriusXM since they will lose more goodwill and revenue than Roku.  As more people connect their devices to the internet, this specific problem will get worse for XM.  The market will fix XM if XM doesn't fix itself.    

charliebrown99
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

It has to be unethical to charge us for a service that does not work. I called SIRIUSXM yesterday and requested my monthly charge be suspended until the service is working properly, and was denied.

MCMLXAD
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

i got advantage of a promotion and took a 4 month free xirius xm and cancelled my old account.so what i do not understand is so many people complaining and they do nothing,on both sides,neither sirius nor ROKU,and this page belongs to ROKU,therefore ROKU should call xirius and fix the problem

Jaguar
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This is absolutely stunning to me that they (either ROKU or SiriusXM) haven't fixed this yet. It is definitely a huge statement of how irrelevant their listeners are to them, to completely ignore all the complaints, and only issue a 'canned' statement they are 'looking into it and monitoring it.' I posted an original complaint a while back and see that nothing has been done about it. If I behaved like that in my professional business, I would have been run out of town. 

People are now watching. A message to management: negative pr will take off on social media if this 'fixable' problem is not resolved very soon, from what I have been reading both here and elsewhere now.

rabidbaby
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Sirius XM tech support called me on Monday. I got a 2 month credit because I pressed really hard, and they tried to offer me a promotional price for 6 months going forward. I didn't accept. I told them I'd keep the service until the credit ran out, but I'd cancel if it was still unusableat that time. They tried to sweet talk me but I resisted. 

They said they're aware of the problem but there's currently no timeline for a fix. I asked them to roll back but I was told that's "not possible at this time." When I asked why it's not possible, I didn't get a response. Big shock.

rabidbaby
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

They also tried to tell me that it's not a big deal because I can listen in my car (which I rarely drive since I work from home) or on my phone (which I keep out of my office during the work day because it's a huge distraction) or on my laptop (which has really poor sound quality). I told them these workarounds are not a solution, nor are they practical for me. The service that I pay for should work across all the platforms it's offered on. The tech support guy didn't have anything to say to that...

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.