Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shows freezing after commercial break

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
monophoto
Streaming Star

Re: Shows freezing after commercial break

Original post identified an issue but didn't offer any details.  Perhaps I can take the matter a step further - - -

I'm seeing this problem when watching a program on the Roku Channel.  There is a commercial break (typically 1.5 - 2 minutes long), and at the end of the break, the stream freezes, and the program does not resume.  My experience is that when this happens, it is necessary to back out and then restart the program.  In general, this means going back to the beginning of the program, which means that I have to use the rapid advance feature on the remote to try to find where the commercial break is.  And often that also means triggering a second 1.5-2 minute commercial.  I'm not complaining about the commercials, but I am not happy that the Roku stream does not automatically resume at the end of the commercial break.

So the issue is that when watching a program on the Roku Channel, the stream freezes at the end of a commercial break, and there is no obvious and simple way to resume the program at the point where the break occurred.  

[Roku Express]

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @neecie1972ok,

Many thanks for keeping us updated, and a happy welcome to the Roku Community!

The problem you're experiencing with the commercial freezes is something we wish to look into more. Could you tell us which channel you are experiencing this problem with? (For example, Paramount+, Hulu, and The Roku Channel)

@monophoto,

Can you please provide us with a photo or video of your running issue? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far? Is this happening to all content on the Roku channel?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
monophoto
Streaming Star

@RokuJohn 

Briefly, I have only experienced the problem when watching the Roku Channel.  And while I can't point to a specific date when I first started noticing the problem, I'm pretty certain that I did not experience the problem when I first started using the Roku Express (mid=2021), so my sense is that it is either due to something changing at your end, or an update in firmware.  And finally, we have two TVs with Roku devices, and also a Roku (brand) TV, but I have only experienced this problem on the one TV with the Roku Express device.  But that may be more related to the fact that I'm pretty sure that the only time I watch a program on the Roku Channel, I'm using the TV with the Roku Express.  The two programs where this has been most noticeable is This Old House, and Ask This Old House.  My experience generally has been that I have only encountered one 'hang up' during a since half-hour program.  There has been one instance where I experienced two instances during a single half-hour program.  My anecdotal observation is that the problem only occurs if the total duration of the advertising break is more than a minute and contains multiple commercials.  And finally, I haven't been able to force the anomaly to occur, so there is no way I can capture a video of it happening.  But what happens is that the last commercial in the break comes to an end, and then the stream freezes on the final frame of the commercial.

MJPnFL suggested making changes to the privacy settings.  I followed his advice, and the first time I watched a program, everything was fine.  But a few minutes later, another program was interrupted twice by the stuck commercial problem.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @monophoto,

We appreciate the information that you have shared with us!

We would be more than happy to assist you further with this issue that you're experiencing with the commercial freezes on the Roku channel. Can you please provide the following information below:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • What version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
monophoto
Streaming Star

@RokuJohnB

Roku Device:  Roku Express

Serial Number: X00400T9CFEX

Device ID:  5083OC9CFEX

Software Version: 12.5.5 build 4174AE

Channel:  Roku Channel Version 9.3 Build 10

Tracker ID: EX-049-964

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @monophoto,

Thank you for the additional information!

Please be aware that we have passed along your information to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Kind regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tmg321

I'm having the same exact issue, can you tell me what the resolution was for this issue?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @tmg321,

We understand that you're experiencing the same issue. We're happy to help.

We believe there's an ongoing investigation by our Roku engineers regarding this concern. To include your device in the said review and investigation, kindly provide us with the following:

• Roku device or TV model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Troubleshooting steps you have taken in an attempt to resolve the issue.
Once we have gathered a few more pieces of information, we will be able to pass them along to the appropriate support team to investigate further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,
Janadee
Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.