Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tuckerdogavl
Channel Surfer

Shouldn't the home screens be the same on two different Roku devices?

Jump to solution

I have three Rokus on three different tvs. They are all supposedly on the same account. Should all the home screens match? Meaning, the channels are in the same place on the home screens? I've rebooted, reset, etc. I could swear they "used to" match (pre-2023). 

And... if I am watching a program on one of them, and pause that program, then go to another room, shouldn't it still be where I left it? Or, does that depend on the channel? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Shouldn't the home screens be the same on two different Roku devices?

Jump to solution

@tuckerdogavl 

When all your devices are linked to the same account (same email address), then all the channels across the devices will be available.  If you install on one device, will install on the others. (as long as the device supports that channel).  If you remove from one device, will remove from all the others.

However, the layout is not the same.  You need to physically arrange your layout for each device. (use the *button on your Roku remote and move the channels to the desired location).  The Roku devices do not communicate with "each other" so they do not know if you relocated a channel to the top of the screen on one device.  Generally though, if you arrange all your devices identically, then they should pretty much stay the same since all new installed channels usually get installed at the end of the list.  This pattern should stay pretty consistent across your devices. (I have had the occasional channel install in the middle of the screen, especially Roku related channels that throws it off a bit).  And sometimes a software update will occasionally move some channels around for some reason.

-----

As for the question about resuming a program, that is channel/app dependent.  Most have a Resume Watching/Continue Watching feature that allows you to do just that on another linked Roku device. (In some channels/app, the Resume/Continue is front and center, on others you may have to look in their menus a bit to find it.   Some channels do not have this feature included at all. (I usually just pause and note the track time, just in case I have to fast forward to that point on another device).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@tuckerdogavl 

When all your devices are linked to the same account (same email address), then all the channels across the devices will be available.  If you install on one device, will install on the others. (as long as the device supports that channel).  If you remove from one device, will remove from all the others.

However, the layout is not the same.  You need to physically arrange your layout for each device. (use the *button on your Roku remote and move the channels to the desired location).  The Roku devices do not communicate with "each other" so they do not know if you relocated a channel to the top of the screen on one device.  Generally though, if you arrange all your devices identically, then they should pretty much stay the same since all new installed channels usually get installed at the end of the list.  This pattern should stay pretty consistent across your devices. (I have had the occasional channel install in the middle of the screen, especially Roku related channels that throws it off a bit).  And sometimes a software update will occasionally move some channels around for some reason.

-----

As for the question about resuming a program, that is channel/app dependent.  Most have a Resume Watching/Continue Watching feature that allows you to do just that on another linked Roku device. (In some channels/app, the Resume/Continue is front and center, on others you may have to look in their menus a bit to find it.   Some channels do not have this feature included at all. (I usually just pause and note the track time, just in case I have to fast forward to that point on another device).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

tuckerdogavl
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks! I could have sworn they used to do that across devices, but it is probably because I had set them up to "mostly" be the same. Apparently, correct assumptions on both parts. 🙂