Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
no1jam
Binge Watcher

Re: Severe color/contrast distortion while Plex-streaming HEVC+EAC3 videos.

Yep, OS 11 updated and I jumped a little, but alas....problem still exists.

0 Kudos
boblinthewild
Binge Watcher

Is there any chance Roku would start supporting mult-channel AAC audio. That would solve the problem for my many MP4 videos with HEVC and AAC 5.1 audio.

0 Kudos
mfaller
Reel Rookie

I gave up and got an Apple TV 4K. No problems. No ads. I'm not going back.

Derek-75

I saw the post where you recreated the hevc codec issue that causes the video to go red.  This issue was not an issue until after a update.  It has been supposedly passed on to the appropriate team over a year ago and still have not been fixed.  How long is this going to be ignored?  I just came across this bug recently and before finding this forum your customer support team wasted 4 hours of my time having me do everything including a factory reset just to tell me at the end of it all that this is a known issue and a fix is supposedly being worked on.  After a year plus of other customers waiting i'm starting to feel we are being lied to.   If you all do not intend to fix bugs you have caused such as the hevc issue it is time to start giving refunds.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Severe color/contrast distortion while Plex-streaming HEVC+EAC3 videos

@Derek-75

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more detailed information about the issue you are experiencing? Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
spoole100
Binge Watcher

Model: 4800X-Roku Ultra

S/N: X01000VVXCN1

Software: 11.0.0 build 4193-C2

Tracker ID: N1-208-938

This occurs in Plex channel.

As I understand it... when you play an HEVC encoded MKV with AAC audio Plex recognizes that the Roku will not handle AAC audio so when plex transcodes the file it places a (correct) color attribute of BT.709 SDR into the MKV container.  Roku misinterprets this flag and applies HDR to the non-HDR file, causing the saturated color issues.  I believe this happens in some other channels as well.

If your engineers read the previous replies to this post they should be able to see exactly what the problem is.  Everyone that has replied to this post has diagnosed it for you.  You just need to get the right people to read this post and fix this issue.  

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@spoole100

Thanks for the post and providing us with your information.

I have passed along the information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
spoole100
Binge Watcher

@RokuDanny-R 

Thank you Danny -

I opened a support ticket last year (4947568) that went exactly nowhere so I won't keep my hopes up, but anything you try on your end is appreciated.

0 Kudos
Ronad666

I disabled Direct Play and Direct Streaming and PLEX HEVC file plays un-distorted on Roku Ultra.. latest model. 

0 Kudos
2ka
Streaming Star

I did this same experiment a couple of months ago.  If you check carefully, I think you will find (as I did) that the reason this works is that it forces the Plex server to transcode the video.  This transcoding occurs at HD (not UHD) resolution -- so the problem disappears.    The color problem goes away at the expense of lower resolution.

I can't remember for sure, but it might be also true that the Plex server uses the H.264 encoder instead of the HEVC for the transcode.