Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku no longer supporting VidAngel

Jump to solution

@jwaite wrote:

Roku needs to approve VidAngel's app!

Not if there's a question about copyright permissions. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Wraith1000 wrote:

VidAngel is not altering anything. It's just a fancy remote to mute and skip scenes.

That is the definition of altering the media. They are changing the content by altering the audio and/or removing specific scenes. To do that legally, they need permission of the content owners, not necessarily the content providers. 

Dan

breakerbreaker
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Huge tech companies like Apple and Amazon have approved the app. Seriously Roku? I've used your products since 2009 and you basically block the main reason I use your device. Major oof. Either bring back unlisted channels or publish VidAngel's channel. Otherwise I'm scrapping all of my Rokus and going with a platform that actually listens to their users. Obviously you aren't so far.

jwaite
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

When I the customer purchase media, i have the ability to change, fast forward, mute and make any alteration I want.  VidAngel gives me the tools to do so.  It tells me scene by scene what is there and gives ME, the customer the option to avoid if i so choose.  They are not giving a wholesale change in the original media.  Why would you want to give someone the option to say easily skip a scene of a child drowning if your own child has drown.  Or a rape scene?  Are you so callous to say, no you MUST watch this or avoid all media that might be offensive?  

breakerbreaker
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@jwaite-

@atc98092is not interested in an honest conversation on the topic, just ignore them. They obviously don't know that this was all fought and settled in court. Roku has no risk in allowing VidAngel on their platform. When VidAngel was taken to court over this, they didn't go after Roku or any platform that hosted their channel. Roku is playing a political game which is why they won't tell us their reasons for blocking the channel. Well, they're losing a 13 year customer and loud advocate for their product, who will now be a loud detractor if they don't change course.

@atc98092if you're actually interested in this, please educate yourself on the history of VidAngel and their legal battle to make filtering accessible to families. You've got 5 years to catch up on.

Wraith1000
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

LOL, if that's the definition of altering, then how do DVD players, Blu-Ray players and streaming providers get away with providing that basic functionality of pause, fast-forward, mute, etc.  The user decides when to mute and skip, VidAngel is not making that decision for you.

If the current business model were illegal it would have come up in the previous court battle.

Nobody seems to have a problem with the current model. Apple, Google, Netflix, and Amazon do not have a problem with the current model. There's no reason Roku needs to take this position.

szig1

Jump to solution

I have several older Roku devices that I was getting ready to upgrade.  If the VidAngel app is no longer supported I will begin making the shift to another provider.

Ranger_J
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The larger question is: Why isn’t VidAngel, a very popular and well made application, present in Roku’s vast library of available apps, many of which are relatively useless? Are you saying that Roku’s standards are higher than Amazon’s? Or how about Apple, which is known for being extremely controlling with regard to the applications it allows on it’s platforms? No, I’m sorry, that simply doesn’t wash. I just moved into streaming TV in the past year and tried Roku because it was highly recommended. I now own three Top of the line streaming sticks and feel that I have wasted my money. I am an Amazon Prime member and My family uses Apple products extensively. Furthermore, I research all purchases thoroughly and didn’t make the decision to buy Roku lightly. IF I have to trash my devices, as a matter of principle, because the management of Roku has some kind of axe to grind with people who simply want to watch programming, which they’ve PAID TO SEE, without some of the more offensive content, I WILL NOT BE BACK; I promise you. There is no good reason not to approve the VidAngel app, in its current technological configuration. This really pisses me off, because Roku has so many great features as well as access to enjoyable content. However, shutting down VidAngel severely diminishes the value of my other streaming services, such as Amazon Prime and Netflix and I’ll not stand for it. If Roku doesn’t value my business, fine, I’ll take it to someone who does.

atc98092

Jump to solution

@Wraith1000 wrote:

LOL, if that's the definition of altering, then how do DVD players, Blu-Ray players and streaming providers get away with providing that basic functionality of pause, fast-forward, mute, etc.  The user decides when to mute and skip, VidAngel is not making that decision for you.

I had never heard of VidAngel prior to this issue. It sounds like they are offering a useful and legal product. I have no idea why Roku will not certify a channel for it. I fully support the end user being able to control the content they see. From the information you have all provided, I can't see a reason for the denial. I hope for all of your sakes they come to an understanding and offer a certified channel.

But again as a reminder, Roku is not singling out VidAngel. They are removing support for all non-certified channels. This is affecting a large number of channels that provide a wide variety on content. The reason for them to removing the support is valid. I hope Roku comes to an agreement with VidAngel and offer a certified channel.

Dan

Ranger_J
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The larger question is: Why isn’t VidAngel, a very popular and well made application, present in Roku’s vast library of available apps, many of which are relatively useless? Are Roku’s standards are higher than Amazon’s? Or how about Apple, which is known for being extremely controlling with regard to the applications it allows on it’s platforms? No, I’m sorry, that simply doesn’t wash. I just moved into streaming TV in the past year and tried Roku because it was highly recommended. I now own three Top of the line streaming sticks and have recommended them to everyone I know. I have also recommended the VidAngel app as an associated feature. Now I feel that I have wasted my money. I am an Amazon Prime member and My family uses Apple products extensively. Furthermore, I research all purchases thoroughly and didn’t make the decision to buy Roku, over FireStick and Apple lightly. IF I have to trash my three 4K Streaming Sticks+, as a matter of principle, because the management of Roku has some kind of axe to grind with people who simply want to watch programming, which they’ve PAID TO SEE, without some of the more offensive content, I WILL NOT BE BACK, I promise you. There is no good reason not to approve the VidAngel app, in its current technological configuration. Roku has so many great features, as well as access to enjoyable content. However, shutting down VidAngel severely diminishes the value of my other streaming services, such as Amazon Prime and Netflix and I’ll not stand for it. If you don’t value my business, fine, I’ll take it to someone who does.