Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ranger_J
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku no longer supporting VidAngel

Jump to solution

No…@Mkaiguy does not have a good point. The suit against VidAngel revolved around the sale of edited DVDs and Blu-rays, with offensive content filtered out. To my knowledge that suit was settled, s $62 million settlement negotiated down to about $9 million. The company went out of business and was reformed as the current VidAngel, a service which filters customer purchased streams, such as Netflix and Amazon. You link you streaming service to VidAngel and the content you are requesting has to have been paid for, either rented, purchased or free with the subscription, otherwise you cannot stream it. I use it all the time. 

Ranger_J
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

AngryAnchovy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Although this would mean I could continue using VidAngel on existing Rokus, it's really bad news because it's inevitable that at some point I might need to restamp a channel by uninstalling it and reinstalling it to fix an issue or to upgrade my Roku to a new device...I have almost 10 Rokus in my home. I was just eyeing some of their newer models but if Roku really does pull this then I won't be coming back to their brand ever... I'm going to return all my Rokus to Costco. Who knows, maybe they'll still honor their return policy.🤞

BrandonHaag
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

We just got a pop-up saying that VidAngel would no longer be supported on Roku. We just got done purchasing a Roku TV system to watch VidAngel. How long until this issue is fixed?

Thanks!

Brandon.

AngryAnchovy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

We have almost 10 Roku devices in our home. I love Roku for their clean UI and parental controls but if they pull support for VidAngel then i'll be pulling the Roku devices out of my home.

VidAngel is the ONLY way we consume media...no VidAngel = no Roku devices in our home.

Once we pull the Roku devices, we will never be coming back to Roku again!

BrandonHaag
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

VidAngel just told me that they submitted their app to Roku and it was rejected with no response as to why.  What say you, Roku??

Thanks and have a blessed day!

Brandon.

AngryAnchovy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I don't think Roku realizes we will all be replacing our devices in order to keep VidAngel. Once that lever is pulled, there's no coming back to Roku. They'll be losing a pretty big group of very passionate customers. I think I've helped over a hundred family members, neighbors and friends all buy and set up Roku devices just for VidAngel. It's not just me and my household their going to be loosing.

AngryAnchovy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I have almost 10 Roku devices and they are the cornerstone of my entertainment device on all of my TVs. If I lose VidAngel then ALL of the Roku devices are coming out of my house. I'm super sad because I really do like the Roku devices with their clean UI and parental lock controls but VidAngel is more important!

I value my VidAngel more than my microwave and to be honest, I'd rather give up air conditioning than lose VidAngel so there it goes...If Roku pulls VidAngel then I'm planning to pull all of my Roku devices. I'm hoping Costco might still give me my money back...Costco has such a great return policy. I'd love to see Costco return thousands of Roku devices back to Roku because they let down their customers. 

AngryAnchovy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

It would certainly be interesting to know just how many of us Roku customers are out there...If you think about the amount of extra work and know-how it takes to jump through the hoopes of side-loading a channel onto a Roku account, it should demonstrate how loyal of a group we are to having VidAngel available on our Rokus...I would hope this might be a good indicator to Roku about just how important we view VidAngel.

I mean it when I say I'll be pulling all of my Roku devices when VidAngel support is removed from my Roku devices...Once that lever is pulled, there's no coming back because it's a substantial investment on my end swapping out devices not to mention the time involved.

Roku!!!
PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!!!

BrandonHaag
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@makaiguy has a valid point. If VidAngel is altering the content of the media without authorization of the content owners, that is a violation of copyright and could be the cause of their channel rejection. Since we have no idea about that status, we're all simply making guesses. But if that is true, it opens Roku to legal liability that they don't want to have. It has happened to them in other countries that caused their equipment to be completely banned from sale, so they have to take a hard line about such content.

Unless they have outlawed my ability to fast-forward through content that I don't want to see, then I don't see what the problem is with hiring a service like VidAngel to automate the process for me based on settings I have selected.  Seems like backwards thinking when every Roku comes with the ability to fast forward and rewind built into the remote and the operating system!?!  Welcome to the future where automation is a thing.  Prohibiting a convenient app like this is akin to requiring horse whips to be sold with new automobiles.  Someone is stuck in old thinking!

I'm still waiting for an official response from Roku about why the VidAngel app was rejected...

Brandon.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.