Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MelEl

Re: Any thoughts on VidAngel

Jump to solution

We specifically chose Roku over others, because of it carrying Vidangel. We have had 4 Roku machines in our house. What a horrible decision they have made. To feel loyal to a company only to find out they are not loyal to their customers wishes, at all is so disheartening. I don't feel the need to insist on Roku anymore. I hear Apple TV has it. So fine!

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@MelEl 

Couple of points.

Roku never supported VidAngel. VidAngel put out an app in the Private/Non-certified library, which was never supported. Only apps in the Channel Store were supported. Roku never carried VidAngel. VidAngel rode Roku. Not the same thing.

Amazon Fire TV also has the app, by the way. I do prefer Apple TV as a streaming device to Fire TV, but the Amazon device is cheaper.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@DBDukes 

Vidangel has persistently contacted Roku to be a certified/supported channel and Roku has declined to do so. Why? That's what, I'm sure, all of us would like to know! This is NOT a Vidangel problem, it's a Roku problem. I bought Roku precisely for it's allowance of other vendors to be downloaded for my use, particularly Vidangel. I'll be switching for sure if it's not supported because I have no other reason to stay with them.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@snoopyfix2000 wrote:

... Vidangel has persistently contacted Roku to be a certified/supported channel and Roku has declined to do so. ...

So I've read from VidAngel. But I've also seen other stuff VidAngel has said that wasn't true, so I'm not considering them a reliable source. If you choose to believe a company that violated copyright law and lost a multi-million dollar judgement over their actions, go ahead.

Even so, I think that this situation is similar to that with PlayOn some years back. You probably don't know about that, so let me fill you in. And everything I'm about to say is verifiable.

PlayOn had non-certified apps on Roku that allowed users to violate content owner rights, similar to VidAngel. The difference was that PlayOn was upfront about it. (Whether or not VidAngel realized they were breaking the law, I don't know. PlayOn didn't care.) PlayOn didn't actually do the copyright violatioin, but they made it really easy for users to, with instructions and everything. And Roku deleted their apps. Roku was quite upfront about it, too. Roku even locked, and in some cases deleted, posts on this board (the predecessor to it, actually) and banned some users who promoted PlayOn. This went on for a while.

Then, over time, PlayOn changed their tactics. They stopped being promotors of piracy. They still accomplish some of the same things as before, but they're doing it legally, and not actively promoting piracy. Eventually, they submitted apps for certification and they were accepted. They actually have two apps in the Channel Store.

Roku has a history of admitting when they target apps. The removal of VidAngel was not a targeting of VidAngel, despite claims otherwise.

Has VidAngel submitted to Roku for certification? I don't know. Maybe they have. Has Roku rejected their apps? If submitted, I expect so. VidAngel operated in a way that would have been a huge financial liability. And that liability is only in regards to two studios: Disney and Warner Bros. What VidAngel is currently doing excludes Disney and Warner Bros content.

So, their current model excludes Disney and Warner? Does that mean that they'll be financially liable if other studios decide to take legal action? I don't know. And I suspect -- I don't know this, just speculating -- that Roku will wait until their legal department looks long and hard at doing business with them.

Now, in case you're wondering why a financial risk would befall Roku, it's because Roku requires all apps to hook in with Roku Pay. That doesn't mean users of an app must use Roku Pay, but Roku Pay must be an option. So any potential VidAngel app would have to allow Roku Pay, of which Roku would get a cut.

Again, Roku Pay isn't required to be used, but it must be an option. Personally, I don't use Roku Pay. However, many do. And, if there was a VidAngel app, Roku could make money from it by its share of subscriptions. And I think -- again, my thoughts, not facts I have confirmed -- that Roku would be worried about any financial liability should another studio sue and receive damages.

Apps in the Non-certified library were, by default, not certified and Roku didn't receive a cut. A certified app would have the option for Roku to get a cut (via Roku Pay) and perhaps open Roku up to liability if the whole legal things surfaced again. And that's why I think Roku won't certify a VidAngel app until their legal department assures the head honchos that Roku would not be liable financially.

In the meantime, VidAngel is available on other platforms. I don't know if their apps on Fire TV, Apple TV, or Android/Google TV allow purchases through the app. You would know better than I would. If they do, that indicates that those platforms are comfortable that any future legal action would not hold them liable. That would indicate that Roku's legal team might eventually come to the same conclusion, and we'd see VidAngel on Roku in the future.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Amma
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same here. The ONLY reason I got Roku was to use VidAngel. Is it possible to hear from ANYONE at Roku to address this issue that so many have?

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Amma 

Roku won't respond on a user-supported forum about something that's not a support issue. Since things are working as intended, it's not a support issue.

If Roku responds, it will be on the Roku Blog (I doubt they will) or a news release (I doubt they will), but not here.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
raycrosbee

How do we prove demand for the VidAngel app/channel?

Jump to solution

Roku is no longer carrying the VidAngel app. This is the entire reason we own Roku TVs, easy access to VidAngel. When will the service/app/channel be available again? I’m über upset it is available with Firestick, Apple TV, and more when we’ve been loyal to Roku for years. 

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: How do we prove demand for the VidAngel app/channel?

Jump to solution

Just use a Firestick, Apple TV, or any other streaming device that supports VidAngel with your Roku TV.  Just plug into an HDMI port on the TV and it will work fine.  Set up the Roku TV to start up with the input you used for the other device.  I am doing this with an older TCL Roku TV that is very slow and it works great.  I just use the remote for the other device to turn on the TV, control volume etc.  I left the TCL Roku TV connected to the internet so it can get updates but I unlinked the TV from my Roku account.  You don't need a new TV, just a streaming device.  I would not hold my breath waiting for VidAngel to appear on Roku again anytime soon. 

jjjjammin

Re: Roku no longer supporting VidAngel

Jump to solution

Agreed. I have been a loyal Roku user for about a long as Roku has been around, but this makes it hard for me to stay. If I don't have a clean streaming option on Roku then to Amazon I go. 

0 Kudos
Luked3

When will Roku add VidAngel as a Channel?

Jump to solution

I'm posting this as a "like" for Roku to add VidAngel back to the channels I can add. I was able to add the channel manually, but now that option is not available. 

Does anyone know when VidAngel will be "in" again for Roku channels? What is the hold? Do channels have to pay Roku enough money or something?

I'd really like to be able to use the VidAngel service on Roku again!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.