Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MovieGuy90
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku no longer supporting VidAngel

Jump to solution

I don't believe any of you for a second.  You are not going to incinerate, trash, toss, abandon, or donate a $500 TV when you can fix the problem with a $35 Firestick.

Am I bummed Roku dropped VidAngel?  Yes

Did I buy a firestick? Yes

Was I set-up and running within 10 min?  Yes.

I'm I throwing away my wonderfully bright, easy to use, clear as a picture ROKU TV?  Not on your life and neither are you.

Tags (2)
currah
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I understand what you are saying, but why?  Roku was absolutely innovative and a trail blazer in the day, but noy anymore.  The Fire Stick and Fire Cube are just as bright, just as clear, and with sound acceasories that are better.  What is your incentive for keeping both?

Here is another consideration: the trajectory.  Amazon is clearly committed to cuatomers - it is their number one leadership principle.  I'm not saying this happened, but let's say Disney tried to influence tech to turn their backs on VidAngel.  Amazon could care less.  If their customers want VidAngel they will tell Disney to shut up and get out of the way.  Roku is not focused on customers to that degree.  I'm not seeing the reason not to sell your Roku for a few bucks to take care of your coffee for a few days.

0 Kudos
geoff65
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I didn't read all 28 pages of replies, so this has probably already been covered...

We don't use the VidAngel app directly on Roku.  I pull up what I want to see on the VidAngel app on my phone and then cast to Roku....at least I used to.  But now when I select "Send to TV", Roku no longer shows up as an option.  Any chance that this option can be returned even if the VidAngel app is not available on Roku?  In other words, just using Roku as the cast receiver.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@geoff65 wrote:

We don't use the VidAngel app directly on Roku.  I pull up what I want to see on the VidAngel app on my phone and then cast to Roku....at least I used to.  But now when I select "Send to TV", Roku no longer shows up as an option.  Any chance that this option can be returned even if the VidAngel app is not available on Roku?  In other words, just using Roku as the cast receiver.

When there's an issue casting between a phone and a Roku, it's usually something in the network settings. If your router is controlled by your ISP (they usually do if you rent the box from them), they might have changed something on you. Most WiFi radios in the router have a security setting that blocks connected devices from seeing other devices on your network. That would "hide" your Roku from the phone. You should be able to see those settings when you log into your router's configuration with a browser. Also, the phone and the Roku have to be on the same network IP address range, and that address range must be what is considered a private address. It's highly unlikely that was changed in your router without your knowledge, but anything's possible. If you have a "guest" WiFi access set up, that is going to have the security setting I mentioned enabled, and you don't want to turn it off. The phone and the Roku cannot be on the guest access.

When you select screen mirroring on the phone, do you see any destination device, or is the Roku the only one not shown? Of course, this is assuming you have other potential destination devices. On my network, I see 11 different devices, with seven of them being Rokus. The others are "smart" TVs. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
pappabees
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I didn't say I was throwing away my TV.  I just stated that when I go to upgrade to an OLED TV which I will do in the near future it won't be a RoKU TV like my others have been.  It was something I looked for and wanted but no more.  

geoff65
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks so much for the feedback!  It would be great if it is some settings issue and I can still cast from my phone.  I did try casting from YouTube on my phone and the Roku devices show up as options.  Roku devices do NOT show up when I attempt to cast from VidAngel app, so something else is going on.  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@geoff65 wrote:

Thanks so much for the feedback!  It would be great if it is some settings issue and I can still cast from my phone.  I did try casting from YouTube on my phone and the Roku devices show up as options.  Roku devices do NOT show up when I attempt to cast from VidAngel app, so something else is going on.  Thanks again!

OK, that's an app-specific casting function, not the same as screen mirroring. VidAngel would have to add that functionality into their phone app, same as Google did for YouTube. You can screen mirror an iPhone using AirPlay to most Roku devices. There's also an Android app that does the same thing for those phones, but it's been so long since I had an Android phone I can't tell you what the app is. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Mi8
Channel Surfer

Re: VidAngel not supported?? Why??

Jump to solution

As to why, you can count on the Social Justice Warriors opposite VidAngel because of The Chosen and God. If you surf on over to the Democratic Underground web site, where to cook up these seemingly viral opposition to programs like The Chosen, it is because they claim Christianity is racist, not patriotic enough, a program for "Trumpsters", etc. They actually task blocks of people to run thousands of complaints to companies like Ruko. It really is a few hundred, but every one of them has dozens of accounts. It is the same problem we are having trying to watch new content that reflects the Russian and Chinese viewpoint in Biden's war in the Ukraine. They have blocked RT and other channels. Their hacking groups, like "Anonymous" conduct DDoS attacks on their web sites. The answer is to complain, not just here, but with the FCC. Eventually, Biden and the crazies will go away and Roku will be left holding bag of rotten stuff they Social Justice Warriors always leave behind.

0 Kudos
Weech
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Great news I discovered just now.  Vidangel Beta is a listed app on Amazon Firestick.  No more searching on and casting from my phone.  

Back to ease of use formerly enjoyed on Roku.  😁

Faithofstihl
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

No exactly true.  That’s what I thought but it’s”beta” so I can scroll through to find what I want to watch but can’t play it from the app. I still have to cast to the fire stick from phone. It’s very frustrating. 

0 Kudos