Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chzburg4Guvna
Channel Surfer

Roku constantly restarts after a few idle minutes

Jump to solution

Not enjoying my Roku. If you are in the middle of watching something and you have to pause- like you get a phone call, you make a cup of tea, you have to go to the bathroom, the kids are fighting in the other room- after just a few minutes of idle time the Roku abandons your show and goes back to the home page, where it usually tries to install another channel without being prompted. Then you have to go back and repick the channel, find the show or movie, fast forward to where you left off most times. Its impractical and can't be changed in any settings that i can find. I can't pause my roku, go to the bathroom and take a **bleep** for a few minutes, and come back and continue watching?!?!? Wtf?!? And forget about watching the news while you get ready for work and pause and play as you go from room to room and to the kitchen, etc. Anyone know how to fix this?????

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Roku constantly restarts after a few idle minutes

Jump to solution

Since it's trying to install another channel, I think you have one of the screen savers with ads - and the ads are typically links to install the channel which means you have to exit the screen saver the "right" way to not get a channel install.  The easiest way for me to deal with that is to use a screen saver without ads, like one of the two Roku clock screen savers.

You can also change the time until the screen saver starts (or disable it entirely) and if your Roku has an option to go into a low power state, you might want to turn that off as well.

View solution in original post

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Chzburg4Guvna 

As indicated by @Strega, the likely culprit is an ad-supported or ad-embedded screensaver.

In addition to the clock screensavers mentioned, any of the Roku defaults should work.  I use the Aquatic Life screensaver (a little fish tank screensaver).

To adjust the screensaver start times or to disable completely, navigate to Settings/Themes/Screensaver Start Time and select appropriate time or disable.

To change screensaver, navigate to Settings/Themes/Screensavers.

---

Hopefully the above will help resolve your issue.  Feel free to update if you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Since it's trying to install another channel, I think you have one of the screen savers with ads - and the ads are typically links to install the channel which means you have to exit the screen saver the "right" way to not get a channel install.  The easiest way for me to deal with that is to use a screen saver without ads, like one of the two Roku clock screen savers.

You can also change the time until the screen saver starts (or disable it entirely) and if your Roku has an option to go into a low power state, you might want to turn that off as well.

CelticsFan
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Chzburg4Guvna  Your misunderstanding what a Roku is and what a channel is. Your Roku is merely a device. You do not pause it. You do however pause a channel such as Netflix, Hulu or Disney. Because of people with data caps from there ISP by default most streaming channels and your Roku stop streaming after 4 hours. You did not mention which Roku model number you are using. You also did not mention which channel you are watching when this occurs. Exactly how are you watching the news? A live TV streaming service? More information would be great. You don't pause Roku. You pause a channel you are streaming. I can pause YouTube TV with no issues. 

0 Kudos
CelticsFan
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Strega  If you are watching Hulu or Netflix it will not use the default Roku screensaver. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Chzburg4Guvna 

As indicated by @Strega, the likely culprit is an ad-supported or ad-embedded screensaver.

In addition to the clock screensavers mentioned, any of the Roku defaults should work.  I use the Aquatic Life screensaver (a little fish tank screensaver).

To adjust the screensaver start times or to disable completely, navigate to Settings/Themes/Screensaver Start Time and select appropriate time or disable.

To change screensaver, navigate to Settings/Themes/Screensavers.

---

Hopefully the above will help resolve your issue.  Feel free to update if you need more help.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Chzburg4Guvna 

There's something a little bit off in your description. That could indicate that you are away from the Roku for longer than you've indicated or realized, or there is an issue with the Roku device.

@Chzburg4Guvna wrote:

... If you ...  have to pause... after just a few minutes of idle time the Roku abandons your show and goes back to the home page ...

That is normal behavior after around two hours. It is not normal behavior for a short break.

So, either something is causing the system to return to Home Page after a brief pause (rather than the expected two hours) or you're away from the TV for longer than you have indicated and it's acting normally.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Chzburg4Guvna
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am familiar with the concept of time, thank you. It is not helpful to just assume people are wrong. There is definitely "something a little off" about you.

0 Kudos
Chzburg4Guvna
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This may work. It is a clever analysis, i would not have thought of the screensaver, i completely overlooked it. I will try this for a few days and see if it works. If it works i will mark it a solution in the community board. Thank you for your time and advice.

0 Kudos
Chzburg4Guvna
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'm sorry, what?!? You made some silly assumptions about my intellect and offered no help. For clarification, the channel i have the most issues with is youtube, which you indicated works just fine for you. But really, since I'm so simple and don't know what I'm doing, it leaves me wondering if you are trying to help or just troll. No thank you sir or madam.

0 Kudos
Chzburg4Guvna
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Right on. I told strega i was gonna try it for awhile and see if it works. Thank you for the detailed follow-up, i appreciate your time and advice. I will look for the aquatic theme as well. I found a shag-art style western theme but it still had ads!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.