Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Texasjim12

Re: Roku channel does not switch back to video after ads

I have just installed a 2022 version of my ROKU device to see if that will correct a every time I watch a movie on the ROKU channel  and have to shut down Roku and restart it to finish watching the movie due to this problem. Tonight will be the first test.

bjedrick
Streaming Star

One more example of how the Roku channel freezes at the end of a commercial set:

07/04/22 Without a Trace S1E21

Two freezes:

1.End of commercial Apple Watch 7 (Different commercials, but always at the end of a commercial set) Audio switches back to episode but video remains fixed on last commercial image.

To get back to episode, must press upper left arrow on remote, click on Watch from beginning, fast forward to the point of last commercial interruption, then press play/pause. Episode then continues until the next freeze.

2.Message saying there are buffering problems, check connection, but before a chance to respond, switches back to episode with video and audio both working, but with captions off, although Roku settings still say captions on. Had to turn the TV off and back on and restart the episode as above, then captions were again shown.

Will post additional examples as I encounter them until problem is solved.

bjedrick
Streaming Star

One final example of how the Roku channel freezes at the end of a commercial set:

07/05/22 Crossing Jordan S2E11

Everything I try on this channel freezes in one way or another. I’ve given you enough examples that you should be able to investigate and fix it. If not, that is a shame, for it would be great if I could watch something to completion without interruption.

All the other channels work, so I will try to find more of what I want to see on those. I’m not going to post to this again, so please don’t send me an email saying you will consider the problem fixed if you don’t hear from me. I would appreciate an email telling me you have fixed the problem.

As of today, the problem is NOT fixed, I am just fed up trying to give you details.

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @bjedrick,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention at Roku Community!

If you are still experiencing an issue with The Roku Channel playback issues, can you please provide us required information below for us to send to The Roku team for investigation:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Rick51

I have the same issue with Roku.  It doesn't matter what I'm watching on Roku.  I've noticed certain ads are the cause.  Capital One is guaranteed to halt streaming.  Others are; almost all the drug commercials, Aldi's, there are a few, it's a maybe.  Pausing the video and resuming it  resolves the issue at that instance, but it's obviously not the fix, since it's sure to occur again.  Very annoying.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Rick51,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

If this issue is not resolved or the issue remains, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team in further investigating this problem. Kindly provide the requested details above your post.

Keep us posted and we'll continue assisting from there if needed.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Rsquared

We have this problem also...just recently, the last few days (today is Oct 23, 2022).

Our fix, which is  a small pain:  as soon as the ads are over, hit FAST FORWARD and then PLAY - bing bing, real quick in succession.  Maybe you miss a blip of the show, but it's quick and gets you back on track.

I would like to see Roku deal with the advertisers if that is indeed the problem.

R squared

Ibmjc23

Seems as though Roku is dropping the ball. With the advanced technology these days I can confidently say Roku is way behind. This is horrible. 

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @Ibmjc23

Thanks for the post.

We do not have enough details from your original message to make an effective suggestion. Could you tell us more about your concern?

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
YvesGuy

The same problem not addressed all these months by Roku, in spite of many detailed examples illustrating it, now occurs for me. I downloaded The Roku Channel to watch on my Samsung TV, so I do not use a Roku streaming device at all. However, the bug-ridden behavior of the app is the same: When an ad break occurs, it’s anyone’s guess whether the program will return once the break is over. Sometimes there is no problem, other times, the ads end and nothing happens. Backing out to the program page and selecting Continue starts the program back to an earlier position. The position is the same no matter how many times you’re sent there. This issue occurred throughout the entirety of season one of Great British Baking Show and the first episode of season two (every episode I’ve tried watching). #therokuchannel #roku #bugs #failure #faulty #techsupport #ignored @greatbritishbakeoff  @greatbritishbakingshow 

0 Kudos