Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnfoliot

Re: Roku app not available on my Samsung smart TV

Jump to solution

Amen. I just bought a new Samsung TU 7000, and while the picture blows me away, the UI and stream management is absolutely horrid. And I can't get the Roku app for my feed management on the Samsung platform because it isn't even supported in Canada.

I've ordered another new Roku Premiere+ (with the magic remote) and I've arrived at where you are at: that will be the platform, and Samsung supplies the screen - that's it, that's all.

0 Kudos
Hundrdproof
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

We just bought a new Samsung UN55TU700DFXZA.  We have an Roku express for a year we used on an older Samsung. Model with no problem. The Roku ICON is there but I can’t access my home line up, no any apps unless I load it to the Samsung Smart TV app. What a pain!

please don’t tell me to call Samsung: wasted 2 hours on the phone with their “technical” staff who didn’t know anything!

B4 we knew we had this problem, we were going to replace the express stick with an Ultra unit, the Roku sound bar and speakers. Unless I can get some help, it’s going back to Roku. No sense paying what I can’t use. Please HELP!!!

Makulski
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Who made the decision to not support Roku on Samsung TV in Canada?

Is this a permanent defect or is Samsung going to correct this in future updates??

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The Roku app for Samsung TVs is a way to access The Roku Channel on different devices. Roku is acting as a streaming provider, similar to Netflix or Amazon. They have to license content for streaming, and that license restricts where they are allowed to stream the content. If they are only licensed to stream to US customers, then it won't be available in other countries. 

To my knowledge, TRC is available in Canada. But it's possible that either Samsung or Roku is not willing to permit their Roku app in that country. There's no way of knowing why. It might be related to content licensing, or it might simply be that Samsung Canada doesn't want it. Since those sort of negotiations are not generally made public, we really have no idea the real reason.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
supergorf

Jump to solution

the initial response does not indicate which Samsung TV gets the Roku app.

I have a Samsung Q800T 8K Ultra HD HDR Smart QLED TV and the Roku app does not show when I query.

Looks like I have to go to a Roku premiere or ultra to get the app. But I still do not know if my TV is compatible.. 

Be great to know. I am still trying o understand their site as it is not very clear....

Thanks

Supergorf

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Remember that the "Roku app" for non-Roku devices is solely for accessing "The Roku Channel". It doesn't provide access to whatever is available on a Roku player. You can subscribe through Roku to access paid services through TRC, but they are only available through TRC, so you're better off subscribing to those services directly with the provider. 

TRC offers a lot of great content for free (just deal with the ads). But don't think of it as a replacement for an actual Roku player. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos