Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jdnlns
Channel Surfer

Re: Plex stops at 33% using Nvidia Shield Plex Server

Actually, I duplicated the same problem using my iPhone and the Plex app. So apparently this is a Nvidia shield issue. So, both Roku and my iPhone, using Nvidia as my Plex server, will not play any 480p or older 1080p movies, but will play newer 1080P. 

0 Kudos
Jdnlns
Channel Surfer

Solved. I had two settings under “transcode” in Plex settings accessed from Plex on my laptop for Shield server that I had to uncheck.

0 Kudos
BunkerMentality
Reel Rookie

This has to do with the Roku's limited codec support not playing nice with the Nvidia Shield TV Pro's Plex hardware transcoding setting. That said, it may be limited to non-4k Roku devices: the Roku users experiencing the 33% issue are using cheap 1080p Roku TV's and one with a Roku 3.

If you turn off hardware transcoding in Plex settings, it will software transcode using the Shield's CPU and get past the 33% issue on Roku devices; however, this will quickly max out your CPU.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

The Shield is an outstanding player for both local and Internet based streaming services. But even the Pro version is limited in its transcoding abilities. Since Roku devices only support a handful of video/audio codecs and containers, and can't play the captions from most ripped DVDs or Blu Ray discs, video transcoding is necessary for most content. If all your media is in a MKV or MP4 container, the video is MPEG2 or AVC (or HEVC if you have a 4K Roku), and the audio is Dolby Digital or PCM, then no transcoding is ever necessary.

If you want captions, the media is in a different container, or you have an unsupported audio or video codec, transcoding is required and the Shield might not be capable of keeping up. Your Plex server needs to be running on an Intel based NAS or a PC (Intel CPU not required) to have the processing power to perform sufficiently. The PC doesn't have to be a powerhouse. I have Plex on two different Windows based PCs, one with an Intel i5 (maybe mid level CPU from 6-7 years ago) and the other with an AMD quad core CPU that's also many years old. Both can stream without issue to my Roku players both on my network and when I'm traveling using hotel WiFi and TVs. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Jpdavid

0 Kudos
bozboz
Reel Rookie

Hi, can you let me know what settings you changed to fix this? I'm having the same issue with Plex stopping at 33%, but I'm running on an RPi instead of a Shield server. 

0 Kudos
Jdnlns
Channel Surfer

I’m sorry I can’t give specifics because it was a long time ago. If I can remember more, I will post.

0 Kudos
BunkerMentality
Reel Rookie

Turning off "Use hardware-accelerated video encoding" in Plex's transcoder settings worked for me.

bozboz
Reel Rookie

No worries, thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
bozboz
Reel Rookie

That's interesting, I might try the Plex Pass and give that a go. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.