Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KGPii

Roku Media Player no longer finds media

Jump to solution

I have used the Roku Media Player to play files that are located on my Synology NAS. That has worked fine until tonight I see that Roku Media PLayer can not find the files. I get a message 

'Connecting to a DLNA Media Server or USB device

To play or view content from a Network Media Server, first make sure your media server is online.'

I have used a PC to attach to the NAS and all is fine but I still get that message. What has changed with Roku Media Server and why? I have two Roku Ultra devices and this is happening on both of them.

Thank you.

KGP

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Media Player no longer finds media

Jump to solution

Hi @Bernd,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

The Roku media player allows you to find, browse, and play content from media servers on your local network as well as connect to an external USB drive for the purpose of playing locally stored photo, audio, and video files with specific Roku streaming device. Resetting the router is a good option to troubleshoot server issues regarding the Roku media player.

I hope this clarifies your concern. If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please don't hesitate to let us know.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
morrowm
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I seem to have the same problem. I can access the media server using other devices but not from my Roku HisenseTV.

I notice there was a software upgrade on 2/5. I haven't used the media player since then so perhaps it's the update.

Is there a way to downgrade I wonder 

morrowm
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Found a problem on.my Synology server. The media player and advanced media services packages were both out of date. Updated them and that fixed the issue

0 Kudos
RokuMel
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @morrowm

Thank you for posting at the Roku community

We appreciate you sharing your feedback on how you resolved your concern as we always make sure that our software/operating system are always up-to-date to work with other devices.

For more information about the software update, you can view this article to get more help: How to update the software on your Roku TV or Roku streaming player.

Best regards,

Mel

Mel
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bernd
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Had that same issue (software update was not the issue/fix).  After a power outage all of my Roku media players (4) could not find any media file/media server. So not sure it was a Roku issue but after a router reboot the media players eventually (some took longer than others to discover the media server) became available again. My question is, how does the Roku media player discover any media servers? I use Windows 10 Media Player - For testing I enabled Streaming on 3 different PCs and each one shows a different set of available devices (which seem to populate automatically) - I guess I am just trying to better understand the communication between all the devices so that I can better troubleshoot in the future rather than sit and wait for the issue to resolve itself over time.  Any feedback/suggestions are appreciated!

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Bernd,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

The Roku media player allows you to find, browse, and play content from media servers on your local network as well as connect to an external USB drive for the purpose of playing locally stored photo, audio, and video files with specific Roku streaming device. Resetting the router is a good option to troubleshoot server issues regarding the Roku media player.

I hope this clarifies your concern. If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please don't hesitate to let us know.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Singleflow

Jump to solution

I love how Roku doesn't say anything until a user provides the solution for them.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.