Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ak08820

ROKU Media Player Issue When Viewing Photos

I needed to use the ROKU Media Player to display a dozen JPG files as a presentation while I explained each one. It was on a 2023 ONN 50" TV with built-in ROKU. ROKU does not seem to have manual mode that I can use to advance to the next picture with the remote. I had to pause each photo and that did not work well as there was some lag to the remote control response, possibly due to the remote working over a network but not having access to WiFi at the location which often is the case.

1. Need a simple mode in which each photo stays on the screen until the remote is used to advance to the next.

2. I could not make a single video play over and over, too. The folder contained other videos and the player kept going to the next one. Pressing * did not seem to bring any helpful option.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ROKU Media Player Issue When Viewing Photos

@ak08820 

In order to replay a single video that is in a folder with other video files, you need to Disable the "Playlist Mode" and Enable the "Repeat All" Mode.

When you get to the List of available videos in the folder, press the OK button after selecting the desired video.  This should then take you to the next screen where the Title of the video is on the left, and the Play button is available on the right.  On this screen, press the asterick/options button on your Roku remote (*), and a list of options should appear (Video Options).   Turn the Playlist Mode [Off] and Repeat All [On].  Then Play your video and it should repeat and not proceed to the next video.

Playlist Mode is what tells the Roku Media Player(RMP) how to continue through the list of available videos in the folder.

----

Edited.. For Photos, press the Pause button on Roku remote.  Then use the Left or Right arrow buttons to proceed/navigate through Photos. (photo will remain on screen until advanced).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
ak08820

Thanks. Will try.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@ak08820 

Just loaded some photos into my RMP.

There is no Playlist Mode for Photos, just Videos.  

So what it appears you have to do for Photos is just press the Pause button. (otherwise goes into Slideshow).  Again, you can press the * button to adjust speed, remove photo info, etc. (Slideshow Options)

However, instead of using the Pause button to again proceed through Photos, use your left or right Arrow buttons on the remote.  This will keep the photo on screen until you need to advance again.

0 Kudos
ak08820

I was doing exactly that but the app did not respond as expected - probably because I did not have WiFi access.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@ak08820 

Could be, but the RokuTV remotes (unless you are using a Roku Voice Remote or the mobile app as a remote) are IR based so do not rely on Wifi/network connection.

If occurs again, try pressing the Back button (upper left button on remote) to "back out" of RMP until you get to the Media Type Selection Screen, and then select the folders again.  This should Refresh your selections and sync everything back up again.

RMP can be a bit finicky at times.

-----

Were you using USB plugged into the RokuTV directly, or connecting to some type of DLNA?

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.