Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbwksf
Streaming Star

Problem with audio descripton on Hulu app

Hi,
I had stopped my Hulu subscription but recently started it again (to watch new seasons of "The Bear" and "Only Murders in the Building"). However, there is an annoying problem with support for audio description on Hulu (latest version on fully up to dfate Roku Ultra).

After much testing, the issue boils down to this: if AD is turned off when Hulu is started, then a show will start just fine. AD can then be turned on and works fine. However, if one exits Hulu (with AD enabled) then Hulu will "loop" over and over the next time it is started. This is also the case if one simply lets the app move to the next episode in a series with AD turned on. The only "fix" is to remove the Hulu app from the Roku and download and install it again (rebooting and/or powering off the Roku is ineffective). Once reinstall Hulu starts working again but without AD selected. So, I have to start the show I want and re-enable AD. This is really annoying. But at least the problem is easy to demonstrate.

I will try again with support a tHulu but it seems to me that Roku could take some responsibility as well. (Seems like a lack of good testing and quality control).

Bob Warren

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Problem with audio descripton on Hulu app

@rbwksf-

To clarify and to help Roku with any possible trouble shooting ...

By "audio description" you are referring to selecting an audio track with an audio overlay describing what is taking place on screen for the benefit of the visually impaired, right?

Paging Roku employees @RokuAustin, @RokuERey, @RokuMaryEF, and any other moderators for follow up.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
rbwksf
Streaming Star

(Replied to your email but here is what I sent):

Yes, I am referring to starting a show on Hulu, getting into the Settings menu and selecting "English with audio description".  When I do that, AD works fine for the show I am watching.  But, if I exit Hulu and come back, the progress bar "loops".  I have to exit the app, remove and reinstall the app to get past the problem.  Note that al other apps (Netflix, Prime Video, MAX, PBS,, etc) tht support AD only requir4e it to be turned on once and the setting is remebered and active for y future show that has an AD track.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @rbwksf.

Greetings from the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for bringing this to our attention. Rest assured that we'll coordinate this with the appropriate team for review.

In order to narrow down the cause of the issue, we would appreciate it if you could share with us your device details such as follows:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and current software version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)

We'll be looking forward to your response so that we can check this further and provide you with a swift resolution.

Warm regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rbwksf
Streaming Star

Model:  Roku Ultra 4800X

S/N X0100FLWJHV

Version  1.3.1.4

Build 1510-C2

Device ID: S02A21CLWJHV

I will provide the tracker ID later.

Note that the the problem is completely and easily reproducible using the notes I put in above.  I am hard pressed to think how it is anything but a flaw in the Hulu app on the Roku platform.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@rbwksf 

Thank you for providing us with the precise details requested.

Rest assured that this has already been coordinated with the appropriate investigation team. Once we receive updates regarding this case, we'll post them here.

Furthermore, if you can provide us with the tracker ID, that will help us.

In the meantime, we humbly request for your patience and understanding as we work on this.

Regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rbwksf
Streaming Star

OK.  I caused the issue to happen (had audio discription turned on when I started a "The Bear" episode last night)..   Same issue with the progress bar moving left to right over and over (for many seconds).

I did the procedure to get the trackin ID while the issue was happening.  Here it is:

HV-367-241

Also, I mistyped the software version.  It is 13.1.4

The GC version is 12.1.17

Thanks,

Bob Warren

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you, @rbwksf.

This has been forwarded to the team. 

Once again, I highly appreciate your cooperation, patience, and understanding. I'll let you know once I've heard updates regarding this case. 

Regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.