Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
upset1235
Streaming Star

Prime app menus are huge, Roku Express+ model 3910RW

Today suddenly when watching the Prime Video app the menu screens are suddenly huge. I can only see the upper left portion of the screen. I was watching this morning around 6:00am and everything was fine. Logged back in around 5:30pm and menu screens were like this. All other apps are fine, Hulu, Max, Peacock, Paramount Plus and others. I tried restarting the Roku (both hard and soft restart) and it did nothing.

Please help. Thank you!

Roku Express+ model 3910RW, Software 12.5.5 build 4174-51

Device ID C5379C483072

Prime app Version 15.1, buikd 2024012417

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
upset1235
Streaming Star

Re: Prime app menus are huge, Roku Express+ model 3910RW

Heather.jpg$45 $999month.jpgDeadly Women.jpgPET SEMATARY.jpg

0 Kudos
upset1235
Streaming Star

I forgot to add video plays fine, only menus are zoomed in.

0 Kudos
dbrear
Channel Surfer

I have the same problem.  Same model Roku, watching on a 4:3 screen.  For me the video plays fine as well, but the captions are off screen.  I'm guessing that this may not be a roku issue, but an issue with the prime app (which is written/maintained by Amazon and not by Roku...).  I'm reaching out to them, I'll post here if I find anything out.  I was able to briefly get the screen/menus back by checking for a channel update (highlight prime app and press *, then pick look for update)  but it only worked once, then went back to zoomed in.

0 Kudos
dbrear
Channel Surfer

After two hours chatting with Prime Video customer service, I'm not optimistic.  I did get them to give the issue a ticket number and elevate as it is likely a display resolution issue on their end, but even if they realize it, they may not fix it as there are few people using 4:3 anymore.  We might be the only two left.

Emissary35
Roku Guru

Amazon should definitely fix this since they screwed it up. 4:3 mode should still be supported in all of these apps and it's ridiculous that no Roku models since the 2018 Express+ 3910RW support composite 4:3 anymore.

All current model Rokus (except for the Sticks) could have one of those small 3.5mm composite outputs on the back so you could still hook the devices up to older TVs that don't have HDMI inputs. It's not like the 3.5mm output would take up that much space on the back of the Roku.

Whatever needs to be included internally shouldn't take up much space either. Even if it did the Roku devices could be made slightly larger to accommodate them. They make android boxes the size of the Roku Ultra and they support composite 4:3, Roku still should too. But of course they won't.

upset1235
Streaming Star

Thanks. I will give them a call tomorrow to let them know I am having this issue too.

0 Kudos
upset1235
Streaming Star

Did you try uninstalling the Prime app and reinstalling it?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Process to force all apps fullscreen (no "zooming") in Composite output mode (3710, 3910, etc)

@upset1235 @dbrear 

There is a trick or "hack" to fix this issue (or the same/similar issue) of the Prime (or any) app's UI view window being "zoomed in" to the upper left 1/4 of the display.

This works 100% of the time after any app (or firmware) update results in the "zoomed in top left quarter" view when you load the app.

Additionally, this process results in slightly improved Composite video output quality due to the nature of flaw(s), the digital to analog & resolution conversion process, and the trick settings.

Instead of relying on and waiting for specific app's developers/vendors (e.g. Amazon) to work with Roku to issue specific fixes for the app (e.g. Prime) for Composite (RCA) connections, this is a "fix for all apps to remain fullscreen" when using Composite (RCA) output.

This actually only works due to both design limitations and coding flaws of RokuOS for player models (e.g. Express+ 3910/3710) with Composite (RCA) output when using Composite output mode.

This process requires temporarily using another (or the same) TV with an HDMI input, so make sure you also have an HDMI cable available too.

Simple process to force all apps fullscreen in Composite (RCA) connection mode:

1) Disconnect Express+ (or other Composite-capable model) from USB power & Composite connection.

2) Connect Express+ (or other Composite-capable model) via HDMI cable to HDMI input of TV, and re-connect USB power to Express+ (should boot to the Home screen)

3) Once booted to Home on HDMI input of other TV, change Settings/Display type = 1080p TV (manually select this - do NOT use Automatic) - do not make any other changes.

4) Disconnect Express+ from USB power & HDMI cables from other TV, re-connect Express+ to USB power & Composite cable of original TV.

5) Once booted to Home on Composite input of original TV, Settings/Display type = 16:9  <-- Do NOT change this - if you change this setting to 4:3 you'll "break" the fix/hack and you'll need to do the process over again via HDMI to other TV etc.

6) Use any/all apps, enjoy (fullscreen, no zooming, slightly improved PQ)

NOTES: 

1) This works with all known RokuOS firmware versions & builds, including the current OS12.5.5-4174.  However, it is possible a future firmware version/build may "fix" the flaws and preclude this trick/hack from working.

2) If for whatever reason the Display type setting is changed to 4:3 (accidentally, firmware update, etc), simply do the process again (connect via HDMI to other TV, set Display type = 1080p TV, re-connect to Composite TV)

3)  Some apps/services are more prone to updates that cause the "top left zooming":  Prime, ABC, Fx, TNT, and TBS are among those;  with this process you never have to worry about app updates resulting in a zoomed in view.

4) This process usually results in a better app UI experience since more UI elements (e.g. left side menus) are viewable;  however, some content may feel/be more narrow vertically - this is due to the aspect ratio (16:9) & analog conversion process.  There are tradeoffs, but not having to deal with any more sudden/random "zoomed in" app experiences and the usual days/weeks/months-long wait for the app developer to fix it is usually worth it.

dbrear
Channel Surfer

Re: Process to force all apps fullscreen (no "zooming") in Composite output mode (3710, 39

@StreamerUserthank you for the information.  I've been looking for this type of info for a long time.  I will try this at my first opportunity.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.