Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cindysue
Reel Rookie

Pluto tv app blank screen

For two days the Pluto TV app has been completely dark on my Roku devices.  I have the Pluto tv app on my tablet and cell phone and they both work.  On both of my Roku devices it does not even load - just a blank screen.  My Roku devices are both updated and the app on each device says they are both updated.  I even uninstalled the app on one of my devices to see if that helped when I installed it back on my Roku device, but still the same blank screen.  Can someone please tell me if I can fix this?

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Pluto tv app blank screen

@Cindysue-

Pluto loads and runs okay here, but it does seem to take longer to load than most, so don't give up too quickly.  Until I see its splash screen, all I see is black.  This was on my slowest Roku, a Streaming Stick 3600.

Edited to add:

After removing a channel, best practice is to restart** your Roku to clear its memory cache before reinstalling the channel. Without the restart you may not get a clean reinstall.

Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the System restart option under either Settings > System > Power or under Settings > System. If you don't have sufficient control to use the menus, or if it is just more convenient, you can also restart by pulling the power plug for a short while, then plugging it back in.

**On a Roku TV with "Fast Start" enabled, turning the TV off/on only puts you in/out of a low power standby state, it does NOT give you a complete restart. Use the methods above.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Cindysue
Reel Rookie

I'm on a Roku Ultra and I have unplugged and restarted it repeatedly.  Still got the same thing - just a black screen.  I uninstalled it again and it actually started working momentarily.  I backed out of it and again got the black screen.  Third time of uninstalling and reinstalling it seems to have worked, though I haven't turned it off yet, so we shall see.  Looks like maybe an update is needed.  

0 Kudos
Mclermont
Channel Surfer

I have the same issue when I used online chat they told me it’s my cable supplier 

then he stopped chatting 

no help help desk 

0 Kudos
msb335pro
Binge Watcher

That's why I hate dealing with tech support. I'm a troubleshooter by nature, and having to call in , or in this case, do an online chat... only to have the other end play 'the finger pointing game', ... not today! Roku knows this is an issue on their end, yet they keep offering the same replies.

0 Kudos
Cindysue
Reel Rookie

Yep.  The Pluto tv app is the ONLY app I have on the Roku device that does not work.  Now that I've exited out of the app, it's back to the black screen.  Maddening.

0 Kudos
Bbattersby
Channel Surfer

Same problem, same time frame.  It's got to be Roku's issue.

msb335pro
Binge Watcher

Is seems as though the support staff here @Roku is simply ignoring the requests to have these matters escalated to a higher level, and at the same time, they keep offering these half-assed fixes they were trained to recite whenever someone reports an issue.

Problem is, none of it is working! No fix at all for the home-level. This is something internal with the servers at Roku, a major problem on their end that has yet to be corrected! I also doubt with the weekend right around the corner, no luck in getting a troubleshooter to look into this. 

I am having the same problem with not only Pluto TV, but Freevee, Tubi @AND Plex. I tried everything except a factory reset. It seems like after a year these Roku devices self destruct and you have to buy a new one. 

Bbattersby
Channel Surfer

I still think it was a software update, and I did the full factory reset today, and it didn't fix it.  I found another thread deeper in the community and gave them ALL the info they wanted, including tracking ID and we'll see if anyone even attempts to figure out what is wrong here. 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.