Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonathyn
Channel Surfer

Peacock and HBO Max don't work with current device

Jump to solution

After weeks of back-and-forth with customer service, I'm now being told to wait patiently on Peacock being available on my system. I installed it via the website, it says it's installed but it isn't on my Roku.  

I've never had an issue with any other channel except HBO Max, and I'm being told that my signal isn't strong enough. It seems this stick 3500X can't handle a signal higher than 11 Mbps, because that's all it ever registers despite me having a signal over 50Mbps in my home (Signal Strength: Excellent in every Roku test).

Every other channel continues to work just fine, including the WWE Network, which is dissolving into Peacock, which is why I need Peacock to WORK. I'm already paying for this channel I can't use, and I don't think it's fair that I have to buy a whole new system because you guys can't get the one I have to operate correctly. Am I out of line here?  I don't think so..

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Why do I need to buy a new device because Roku can't make their old ones work for Peacock or ...

Jump to solution

@Jonathyn

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that channels will only work on Roku devices if the channel supports that device.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Why do I need to buy a new device because Roku can't make their old ones work for Peacock or HBO

Jump to solution

@Jonathyn wrote:

After weeks of back-and-forth with customer service, I'm now being told to wait patiently on Peacock being available on my system.

I installed it via the website, it says it's installed but it isn't on my Roku.  

I've never had an issue with any other channel except HBOMax, and I'm being told that my signal isn't strong enough. It seems this stick 3500X can't handle a signal higher than 11 Mbps, because that's all it ever registers despite me having a signal over 50Mbps in my home (Signal Strength: Excellent in every Roku test).

Every other channel continues to work just fine, including the WWE Network, which is dissolving into Peacock, which is why I need Peacock to WORK. I'm already paying for this channel I can't use, and I don't think it's fair that I have to buy a whole new system because you guys can't get the one I have to operate correctly.

Am I out of line here?  I don't think so..

Yes, you are "out of line" in regards to demanding that Roku somehow make new apps coded by third parties work on your 7-8 year old model.  You need to direct that particular complaint to the app vendor, who chose the model limits.

However, you arent "out of line" wondering why this is the first you heard of it from any Roku employee, considering you've apparently been in contact with them for weeks.   Every Roku support employee should be able to refer to a support page or channelstore page with enumerated model limitations.

There should be an easily accessible Roku support page for any/every new "premium" subscription service that Roku themselves announces/advertises, that contains, amongst other pieces of important and useful information, any model restrictions/limitations. 

This information should also either be listed on the Roku channelstore details page for that app, or linked to from it.  Its Roku's app store, and they should require disclosure of such device restrictions and limitations (other app stores do this), especially when they are announcing/marketing the availability of the app/service.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Why do I need to buy a new device because Roku can't make their old ones work for Peacock or ...

Jump to solution

@Jonathyn

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that channels will only work on Roku devices if the channel supports that device.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jonathyn
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
Why is this the first time I'm hearing this? 
0 Kudos
Jonathyn
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

And why can't I reply without having to edit HTML in this thing?

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The content providers create the channels/apps.  If you don't like one, or they don't support you, try another or you can get a newer gadget. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Roku doesn't create apps/channels for 3rd party providers. Peacock made the decision on what level of device to support. The 3500 is extremely old (released March 2014) and is not supported by numerous new/updated channels. It won't work with HBO Max, for example. Disney+ I believe is another. If you go to the Peacock web site, you can find a list of supported devices there. You can see the 3500 is specifically excluded.

You could probably sell the remote for your 3500 for enough to buy a new Roku, because those remotes are no longer available. Many users have been looking for a replacement 3500 remote. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Jonathyn wrote:
Why is this the first time I'm hearing this? 

Peacock TV has listed the devices they support ever since they launched. I knew before I got the service because I looked into it.

https://www.peacocktv.com/help/article/what-devices-and-platforms-are-supported-by-peacock 

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Why do I need to buy a new device because Roku can't make their old ones work for Peacock or HBO

Jump to solution

@Jonathyn wrote:

After weeks of back-and-forth with customer service, I'm now being told to wait patiently on Peacock being available on my system.

I installed it via the website, it says it's installed but it isn't on my Roku.  

I've never had an issue with any other channel except HBOMax, and I'm being told that my signal isn't strong enough. It seems this stick 3500X can't handle a signal higher than 11 Mbps, because that's all it ever registers despite me having a signal over 50Mbps in my home (Signal Strength: Excellent in every Roku test).

Every other channel continues to work just fine, including the WWE Network, which is dissolving into Peacock, which is why I need Peacock to WORK. I'm already paying for this channel I can't use, and I don't think it's fair that I have to buy a whole new system because you guys can't get the one I have to operate correctly.

Am I out of line here?  I don't think so..

Yes, you are "out of line" in regards to demanding that Roku somehow make new apps coded by third parties work on your 7-8 year old model.  You need to direct that particular complaint to the app vendor, who chose the model limits.

However, you arent "out of line" wondering why this is the first you heard of it from any Roku employee, considering you've apparently been in contact with them for weeks.   Every Roku support employee should be able to refer to a support page or channelstore page with enumerated model limitations.

There should be an easily accessible Roku support page for any/every new "premium" subscription service that Roku themselves announces/advertises, that contains, amongst other pieces of important and useful information, any model restrictions/limitations. 

This information should also either be listed on the Roku channelstore details page for that app, or linked to from it.  Its Roku's app store, and they should require disclosure of such device restrictions and limitations (other app stores do this), especially when they are announcing/marketing the availability of the app/service.

makaiguy

Jump to solution

@StreamerUser wrote:

I could not agree more.  If we mere users can look this information up on the web to try to help with questions here, there's no reason Roku personnel can't do the same - both regarding supported models and regions of availability. How tough would it be then to maintain a database?

Their own software has to make these determinations to determine whether to show a channel in the home page Streaming Channels listings, so it seems with a little programming this information could at least be extracted and automatically included or linked to in the Channel Store online listings.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
atc98092

Jump to solution

The channel store has a limited amount of space for describing the channel, so it's understandable the provider uses it to talk about how great it is. Roku doesn't write that content, so it's not their responsibility to list supported devices. But if the providers only support a subset of all devices, they should include a link to their web page that lists those devices. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos