Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nick821
Reel Rookie

News 12 Long Island??????????????

What happened to News 12 Long Island App? I opened my Roku today 2/24/22 and it was gone and not to be found in the channel search.

34 REPLIES 34
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: News 12 Long Island??????????????

@Nick821 

Was it ever in the Channel Store? Or did you add it with a code?

If the former, check with the developer (the TV station?) and see if there's a reason it's not there.

If the latter, then the change to the non-certified apps process, which Roku announced several months ago, may have removed it.

The non-certified app process was for beta testing of apps, with the intention of going into the Channel Store. Some companies simply stopped development after providing non-certified apps, never going through the process to certify the apps. Roku still allows non-certified apps, but for limited time and limited audience. This was to stop the abuse of the process.

Some app developers have decided to complete the certification process, but all this waiting to the last minute may have caused a backlog. Or they may simply not be going through the trouble to get the app certified.

Whether or not this applies to the app you're seeking, I don't know, but it would cause what you've experienced.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Same thing happened to me,  What's up??

jpalmer70

News12 NJ Channel disappeared

This morning went to turn on the TV to watch the news and weather only to learn that the News12 channel had been removed?  Nowhere to be found searching channels in the Roku itself and no sign of it here in the Channel Store on the Roku website?

Where did this channel go?  Why was it removed?  This is the only news channel out there that provided news for our specific area - not the NY metro area. 

Can anyone shed light on where it went and why channels are just up and removed without any notification?

RobT1

I looked on News 12 website. Looks like they no longer support Roku. You can download Haystack app or Pluto tv app and watch it there. 

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: News12 NJ Channel disappeared

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/News-12-Long-Island/m-p/769763/highlight/true...

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Richvideo
Binge Watcher

That News 12 channel on Pluto is not a live channel, it is just pre-recorded segments. The best one was the private channel version that Cablevison had created years ago and that one was still working. They had removed it from the channel store a while ago so if you deleted the channel, you would not be able to get it back.  The live local version is/was much better for providing local news, I am going to miss the channel. Maybe if enough people contact Cablevision (Now Altice) and demand that they put back the local one on the Roku something will be done. The channel had no issues and has not been updated for a while so it really was not costing them anything to keep it up.

0 Kudos
david1984

Really disappointing.  I watched News 12 Connecticut many nights on my Roku and sat down tonight and it was gone - February 24th 2022.  I know I watched it yesterday.

I am not sure where the issue is - News 12 or Roku - let me know who I can write.

Richvideo
Binge Watcher

Altice (News 12) would have to make sure the channel is certified (programmed properly for Roku) which I think it is and resubmit the channel for approval as a regular (non-private) channel.

Contact them, try to get a phone number to call

news12ct@news12.com

blackcroww

Re: News12 NJ Channel disappeared

I noticed the same thing. I had it on Wednesday and today it is gone. I thought my kids deleted but that wasn’t the case.