Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
R83
Reel Rookie

Netflix "unable to play that title"

Have Roku Ultra LT (4662 so made 2019 I assume) with Sony KD-43X80J (4K HDR) TV, and MoAC ethernet to Roku.  Have no problem with Roku Channel and only very, very rare problem with ACORN TV app not workkng, but as others have had, it seems Netflix app is a constant problem child.  Hitting play once a program is shown often results in "Netflix unable to play that selection".  Roku software up to date, and network connections all show good on Roku.  Have tried going to ACORN or Roku Channel then back to Netflix, as well as unplugging Roku, resetting Roku, reloading Netflix (which takes two or three tries to get it to load the Sign in screen, etc, etc.  All that regardless of the fact that Roku System Update is current.  Seems that no one try is guaranteed, so you try various options for 5 or 10 or 15 minutes in the hope something works.

I am wondering if newer Roku Ultra 4802 boxes, with larger memory and bigger/faster processors, have shown they cut down on the Netflix issues?  Or is there no point in upgrading since the newer equipment has the same number of Netflix issues? 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Netflix "unable to play that title"

Hi, @R83!

Greetings and a warm welcome to the Roku Community! 

We understand you're having problems accessing Acorn TV, Netflix, and The Roku Channel. We know how difficult it can be to face such issues, and we apologize for the inconvenience caused.

We see that this issue may be related to your network connection. Have you tried connecting to an alternative network, like a mobile hotspot?

You may also check your internet connection by following these steps: go to Home screen > Settings > Network > Check connection. To learn more about the result, kindly refer to our support article on checking the connection to your home network and the internet.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
R83
Reel Rookie

Jharra,

I have frequently checked Settings/Network/Check connection, and it always comes up with two green check marks (wired and network I think).  Never had a problem with that showing a bad connection.

I did find a few weeks ago, when troubleshooting, that if I hit asterisk * after selecting an app on the home screen, I'd get a message that the app couldn't do something.  I think it may have been unable to update, I can't remember for sure.  That happened on a few apps.  However, if check network connection in Roku Settings/Network/Check Connection it would show okay.   Have not had that issue since, so still a mystery.

Would a newer Ultra with more memory and storage reduce any of these problems, or is it unlikely to make any difference?  Just curious if you have any idea.

Have added BritBox to my Acorn and Roku Channel apps, and still it is Netflix which has the most issues.  All other apps seem fine.  Kind of wondering if it's lousy coding / programming on Netflix app. 

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for getting in contact, @R83!

We appreciate you taking the time to help us with this issue. Kindly provide us with some more information below so we can investigate the issue further.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID)
  • Channel build version

We will wait for your response and continue to assist you further.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos