Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alphasixty
Channel Surfer

Re: Menu Screen Randomly Rearranging

You're telling me!

OK, I will try swapping them and see what happens. Thanks for your help, fingers crossed it works!

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

Be sure to unlink your 2012 Roku and change your Roku account password. Also since you have children add a PIN to your account 

0 Kudos
alphasixty
Channel Surfer

Thanks, will do!

0 Kudos
JoeCommenter
Channel Surfer

This has happened twice to me - in late May and then again last night. Other people have reported it on Reddit as well. I'm assuming it is a glitch that has started happening when Roku updates. I'll need to start monitoring Roku updates to see if that's the case. I have 18-19 channel icons, and I needed to move about 6-7 of them to restore my preferred order. So it's a nuisance, but not too bad, assuming it doesn't start happening more frequently.

I have a Roku Ultra for my main TV and a Roku 3 for my office TV. I watch both daily. I normally shift a couple of icons on the Ultra at the beginning of each month when I start/stop streaming services. I never shift any icons on the Roku 3. So it doesn't seem that using multiple Roku boxes has any impact on the order of home screen icons.  

0 Kudos
alphasixty
Channel Surfer

I'm just glad I'm not crazy and that other folks have witnessed this as well! 

SurlyTank

Not just you at all.  This has happened to me twice recently too.  It's super annoying.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@JoeCommenter 

If you have linked Roku devices (multiple Roku devices on same account/same email address), then removing or adding a Channel/app will either add or remove that same Channel/app to all the devices.  However, rearranging icons on one Roku device will have no impact/effect on any other linked Roku device.  

If you can rule out someone else moving these Channels/apps as a prank/messing with you, then I would look to the power supply as a possible culprit.  At times, this behavior is reported more with users powering their devices from the TV USB power port.  If the power supply is insufficient, can have adverse effects on the Roku device and potentially damage the device.  Channel storage is mainly confined to the internal flash memory, so either a failing flash memory or underpowered device not allowing the flash memory to operate properly is likely.  Other cause could be a corrupted SD storage card if in use.

Not sure if applicable to @SurlyTank since don't know device model involved, but since both you and @alphasixty have the Ultra device in common, I would perhaps look into replacing the power adapter if getting to be an increasing issue.  Sounds like only affecting your Ultra, but not your Roku 3.  Can also try removing any SD cards if in use and see if issue resolves.  

(https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-power-adaptor-ultra) PW11.  Should be able to use any 1amp, 12volt power adapter with appropriate end for troubleshooting.

----

If the power supply and the SD card steps do not resolve issue, then I think it is the beginning of a damaged/failing flash memory. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
SurlyTank

Thanks for the quick reply.  This was with one of our Ultras and just happened tonight (the 2nd time) on the same unit we noticed it with before.  This is by far our most watched unit and relatively new (May 25th).  If it happens again I'll try swapping the PS since there's no sd card.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@SurlyTank 

If the new power supply doesn't work, should qualify for 12-month replacement warranty. (https://support.roku.com/article/208757058).  It is just outside the 30-day return policy, but if you bought it in a retail store, maybe they will swap it out for you.

Feel free to post an update.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
JoeCommenter
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the information. Your first paragraph makes sense - nothing I've shifted on the Ultra has affected the Roku 3 and vice versa. Normally, the icon layout is the same on both TVs.

I bought my Ultra five months ago and I'm using the power supply that came with it. I do not use an SD card and there is no additional user to change any settings. While your comments may be perfectly honest, it seems very difficult to believe that the Ultra's flash memory is failing after only 5 months, or that the power supply is failing after that same amount of time. My Roku 4 (which I still use for traveling and vacations) and my Roku 3 are both fully functional after many years of use, and I've never had a power supply/adapter fail after only a few months. Additionally, if either the flash memory or the power adapter were failing so badly to cause the previous scrambling of icons in May, it seems odd that 5 weeks would pass before a second incident. It also seems that either type of failure would create more than one single symptom - the Ultra remembers every other setting or piece of data without a problem.

I think I will just monitor Roku updates to see if a future update correlates with an icon scrambling, or see if this problem keeps happening at much shorter intervals. Doing that and rearranging the icons (if it happens again) is much less trouble than putting in a warranty claim for hardware that may not be defective. But I appreciate your advice.

0 Kudos